The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, that's right I called them Lazy lol :laugh:

We don't have a lot of pasture, but they have plenty to browse back in the woods, and there is good enough area to graze on the other side of the creek. We only have a couple of acres.
Usually they'd do fine, they'd go to the woods, browse, etc. come back and rest about noon to about 1:30pm then go back out again.

The 2 eldest does didn't get grain from about April-2 weeks ago. They were strictly browse/graze, no hay either.
so when we started giving some grain, and hay in the evenings for breeding season I noticed everyone laying around more.

Today they have laid around ALL day, haven't attempted to go browse at all.

We had this problem before where they would all lay around and wait for grain/hay.

Drives me crazy!

I guess the only one that will get hay will be the buck, I won't fill the outside feeder for them anymore, and cut back on the grain again to encourage them to go out.

It's not even hot, in fact it's very cool today, very unseasonably cool. 2pm and only 73! So there just isn't any excuse.

They are being lazy lol :crazy::laugh::hair:

·
558 Posts
Sounds like my girls. The only time I have been able to get them to graze was when we couldn't find any good alfalfa for them and had to buy grass hay. Now that we have alfalfa again, they don't go out to browse AT ALL. Little stinkers!!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I started feeding free choice alfalfa to my girls, instead of letting them browse on 15 acres of pasture.. They still have the option of going up there, but they don't. LOL :p

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Its a little more of a pain but with extended acreage like mentioned, it kinda helps to feed out away from their pens. That way they are forced to go out. Feed about 1/2 the amount or at least enough to get em out there and eating, then they will have to move on to the browse.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, This all started with the 2 eldest does getting grain and everyone getting the hay. So we'll just go back to the old routine I guess. They will get very little grain in the evening, and if they continue to lay around I'll just start graining every other day until weather forces me to do otherwise.
It's not going to hurt my grain or hay bill!

I really wish I knew a goat whisperer...someone that could tell them make a little effort, and your owner will give all the grain and hay back LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts