Dealing with mites - new update one kid not doing well

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Aug 5, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I wasn't getting any response to my question in the caprine section, so thought I'd ask here and hopefully get a response.

My goat kids have mites :( Their ears are real scabby, and one buckling has it on his neck real bad, and his twin has some on her neck. I didn't notice it on the other bucklings neck just in his ears.

I am treating the ears with baby oil, and the neck with seven dust. Any idea how long it might take to see results before trying something else? If we have to we will get the Ivermectin pour on to use, but hoping we could possibly rid them with this, since the Ivermectin is a bit costly around here. My husband got laid off from his job, so any way we can cut expenses right now would be ideal. But if we have to get this we will.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help I'd greatly appreciate it as things have just been as crazy as a circus around here the past week!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Dealing with mites

I use permectrin II mixed with mineral oil.
    My buck had it severely bad and the results was immediate when he stopped itching, and it took 24 hours for his coat to start looking better. Now 3 weeks later all of the hair looks great!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with Katrina...I use the same stuff...works great..... :thumb:

4. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009

Where do you get that?- Not the mineral oil.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Livestock type feed stores.....is where I get mine... :thumb:

Call around... to your local feed stores .... :wink:

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much! I'll have to wait and call around tomorrow as we're getting ready to go to my sons school to meet his new teacher. I hope someone around here has it, any idea what it usually costs? I could just mix it with baby oil right?

The goat kids I don't notice to be scratching too much, but their ears are really scabby. Does it typically get scabby before it goes away? I'm sorry I've just never dealt with mites before. What exactly are the scabs caused from? I have had so little time on the computer lately I haven't been able to sit down and look up more info on mites. I just know my kids ears are really icky and rough right now :(

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas

They are probably copper deficient. Correct that and the mites should clear up.

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Really? that is interesting, I had no idea copper def. could bring on mites. Learn something new every day!

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Don't know about the copper def. bringing on mites.....my guys are all copper bolused every 6 months and we had a horrible time with mites this year.....vet thinks we brought them in with our hay or straw.

Hope what Katrina suggested works for you....we tried everything but not that mixture.... the only thing that worked for us was the ivermectin pour-on which I don't know if I would want to put it on such young ones as yours..... One thing I did also was used a small tooth comb and combed through my boys every day and removed the scabs.....don't know if it helped, but made me feel better getting them off my boys.......make sure to treat the pens and bedding. Also for their ears you can use cat ear mite medicine.....we did that for the ears......the way I understand it as the mites can start out in the ears and then the goats scratch their ears and then the mites spread.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The permethrin can be bought at TSC if you have one nearby...I normally just get the Bronco horse spray for flies around my goats but I found the permethrin concentrate at the same price as a quart of spray...$6 for the concentrate and it is mixed by diluting 1 ounce into a gallon of water and used as a spray, I have enough to last me quite a few summers now and I would image if you use it mixed into baby oil the dilution would be a smaller amount of concentrate.

Hope it works for you and your babies.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much. They have really gotten quite bad since yesterday evening when I treated them :( Really scabby. I have tried to loosen and pull off as many scabs as I can when I lather them up in baby oil. The little boy who has it the worst just lay there as I know it felt good to be rubbed on.

We do have 2 goats I am thinking have a copper def. so we'll look into getting that taken care of, and I'll call around in the morning to see what else I can come up with. There is a TSC about 35 minutes away so if we have to go there we will. We have a feed store and horse supply store locally, so hoping they might have what we need.

12. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas

Copper bolusing does not always work. I'd wonder if they were still deficient. Mites that leave scabs means mange. Mange always clears if you get enough copper in the animal. Check their eyelids, they are likely to be anemic too.

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

So if it doesn't always work, then I wonder what would? We were planning to go get Copasure today and the pectrin.

14. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas

I use copper sulfate in their water.

15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

My goat kids don't drink a lot of water yet, just a little here and there, would they still get enough if I used copper sulfate in the water?

My husband said in Mexico when he was a kid, when a goat got mange, they used motor oil on them. Anyone tried this? I am so worried about my babies :( They aren't as active as they usually are <it's been extremely hot here too>.

We're heading out in just a short bit for a couple of appointments, and then I can get over to the feed store afterwards and see what they have, if we have to we'll go to TSC.

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

I would not use motor oil.

just keep up with the permectrin and you'll be surprised how fast they heal up. I did it twice a day.

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I should probably move this into the caprine section, but since the subject is already here.

One of my goat kids is not looking good at all, I am so very worried. He's walking kind of hunched in the back end, and looks miserable. We didn't buy anything as we couldn't get out of the doctor before the store closed <my son has been getting over illness>.

Would mange make him this way? I am guessing so.

I will have my husband check eye lids in just a few minutes. He checked gums, but they seemed fine, not any different than one of the other healthy does.

The other 2 goat kids are acting fine, just not as playful as they usually are.
    This little boy has me very worried though.

If the mange is making him sick, any idea how I should treat him on top of the permectrin?

My poor babies :(

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd give him some ivermectin. orally, something that is labeled to kill mites & lice

:( how's his temp?

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'll have my husband help me get the temp. If we give ivermectin, any idea if it's safe for a month old kid? And if so how much?

Anything else? if he gets real sick is there anything I can give him to make him feel better and regain strength?

20. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    temp is 104.8 and he is shivering :(

-- I have a friend who is coming over with meds she is experienced with goats and can help too -- going to give him banamine and la200.

My poor baby :(