The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buck who has been fine and sweet in the past when it was time to go on dates and would even leave them be if they weren’t interested, but this year he is very rough with the ladies. The first doe he was with did fine because she was in heat and bred within minutes, however I wanted to leave the other does that needed to be bred in there with him to see if they were interested or until they went through a heat cycle. I had to take them out within 30 minutes because I was worried they would get hurt. Any tips for dealing with breeding him? I guess I’ll just have to wait until they are in heat and hope I don’t miss it.

·
8,109 Posts
As they get older, they seem to turn into jerks. Right around 2-1/2-3 yrs. old it seems to occur.

The area you had him with the does, was it in a large enough area to enable the does to get away from him? Could he see other bucks? (Mine tend to show off if they can see their buddies while they are "doing the deed".)

I've found that if I feed the buck(s)their grain and hay before I take them to the does, whether to do an individual breeding or put one in a pen with multiple does, they seem to do better and be less aggressive.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
What exactly is he doing?
If he is being down right mean, I agree with Goats Rock, make sure the area is large enough that does can get away if he’s in a mood. Also plenty of feeder space. I had one buck that was overly aggressive when it came to feed so I had to make sure everyone had a feeder and then a extra. Every other buck they have had their moments of being a jerk about feed but not real terrible.
But really for the most part they have a reason behind their moods. I’ve had mine be jerks keeping does away from the fence line because there was another buck on the other side. When one doe is in heat he doesn’t want the other does around that one. And the most common they are down right stupid and would rather breed or are busy being super impressed with themselves doing nasty Bucky things and forget to eat so when they are starving their get a bit mean about feed. Every once in awhile there is just down right jerk bucks and I really don’t think there’s much that can be done about it. The girls just need to learn to stay away from him unless in heat

·
Super Moderator
82,617 Posts
Is he aggressive around feeding time? If so, make sure there are plenty of places of feed so the does can eat and get away from him.

Bigger area's help too.

Don't share fence lines with other bucks.

If he is hitting them all the time no matter, or separating feed area's does not work. I would get rid of him, as soon as you can, not all bucks do that, only very few.

Years ago it happened to my buck, he hit the girls in the stomach, when feeding them. I was so mad, this was defeating the whole purpose of breeding.
He seemed to be trying to abort them. :(

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We took him out of the buck pen so the other bucks were on the complete other side of the pasture. They hadn't been fed yet so maybe he was hangry. @Goats Rock he is 3 years old now that's strange how they would change at that age. Maybe putting them in a bigger area would help. The second that I put him back in the buck pen he took a nap.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could maybe take the other buck and wether out of the buck pen and put them in another pen and then have the girls that need to be bred and this buck in the buck pen. The buck pen is half an acre I’m guessing. Wonder if that would still be a bad idea though because it’s not technically neutral territory.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We tried it again this time with feeding before hand. He is being much nicer now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts