Dealing with the heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 22, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    What do you do for your goats when your dealing with heat and humidity?
    Looks like today might be the hottest day of the year so far, with temps in the mid 90s and high humidity. They are saying heat index will rise above 100.

Do you do anything other than making sure they have plenty of water and shade?

As badly as I don't want rain, I kinda hope we get more today to help keep the temps from getting soooo hot...

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    It has been mid 90's here in NC for a week. I have quite a few B&W goats and the best i can do for them is put fresh cold water out for them in the am... I am on a deep well so the water is cold and 50 gal stays cool most of the day. Sometimes I take a wet sponge and wipe them down some love it and some run at the sight of the sponge...smart little boogers.
    Rain will help. I put a mister out last year and when it was not misting they decided to have a chew on it so it is gone.... :laugh:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    when it's too hot here.. lol i know. 75 to you isn't hot.. i take fresh water 3x a day, and freeze a gallon jug of water and stick it out there in the water. they all come lick the ice.. lol

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is important to provide shade and water....with my boers...they do... really good in the heat....it can be 110 + degree's out ...and they are out grazing or even just laying in the sun...even when provided shade....they do pant.....and some... do come into the shady spots... for a short while...and loaf...... while others ....just lay out in it.. :roll: .....if they didn't have the horns... they would overheat.... :wink:

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Freeze a gallon of ice, I like that idea! That would most certainly keep Boe and Trouble out of... trouble LOL
    Most everyone is hiding in the shade around the barn, and the others are in the shade grazing. It's not as hot as they predicted, yet anyway, so that's a relief.

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    My herd queen seems to feel it more than the others. They all lay in the shade and if anybody leans against her she bites them. LOL I don't blame her. Goats are hot! I wish there was a way to hand milk without getting so cozy.

They tend to be unpredictable and sometimes will be out grazing in the sun or the rain. Mine will stand in running water to graze too.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Katrina... What a great idea for sure....do you pour water over it at first ...so their tongues don't stick to it......LOL :thumb:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    haha, i haven't had anyone get stuck..yet. :) but good thinking pam!

9. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It was 108 F when I went out to feed and close up for the night. All of my goats were hunkered down in the dirt, soft powdery dust, like hermit crabs in the sand. Two of my Angoras roll about in it like chickens taking dirt baths or like human kids making "angels" in the snow. The soft powdery red dirt must have a cooling effect of some sort. You think they'd rather lay in a shady spot on the grass or on bedding beneath a shade structure...guess not.

My goats are licking their salt licks like they're going out of style. They must know it helps with hydration in hot weather. I put large copper fittings in their water tubs to keep the algae down and place those tubs in areas that remain shady throughout the day. When I go to change the water, there's not much left to dump. The increased salt intake is increasing their water intake and they're not eating as much because of the heat. Yep, the Goat Days of Summer are here.

Deb Mc

Deb Mc

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    This may be considered over the top to some......but I have 2 box fans hanging up and aimed downward inside the boys barn pen.......they don't like them on high and directly aimed right on them, but they lay where the breeze from the fans hit them........My boys will go out early mornings and then once it starts heating up they come inside and don't go back out until late evening.......last year when it got so hot here, I froze milk jugs full of water and then hung them in front of the blowing fans and it really made a difference.....but they only last a couple of hours.....I would use them during the heat of they day.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Denise - sounds great to me! And not over the top IMO. All the horse farms around here typically bring their horses inside, especially mares with foals, and you can walk in just about any barn and find a box fan strapped to EVERY stall door. The horses are in from about 7:30am-3:30pm and then turned out for the night.

If I had electric in my mini barn I'd have my box fan out there for my preggo girls. I can't wait to get the mini barn completed so we can look into getting an outlet and light in there!

I want to do the gallon of water in the freezer, just waiting for the kids to use up the milk so I have a gallon I can use LOL

12. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Fans are great for flies as they have trouble landing for any length of time.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep Mully....the fans do help so much with the flies! I also ordered from Fiasco Farms...her shoo-fly oil (bottle last a long time!), you mix it in a spray bottle with water or ACV and mist the goats.....it is all natural and smells great! Most of my guys don't mind it at all and the mist helps cool them......my big boy will just stand there and let me spray him like he enjoys it......crazy goat! I also will spray it in front of the blowing fans to mist their pen.

HoosierShadows......I have also heard where some will freeze the milk jugs and just put them out on the ground and the goats will lay against them.....My boys....NO WAY are they about to lay against something wet!

14. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I fill all the water 2x a day and sometimes add electrolyte mix (usually fruit flavored and found in the horse care section - it's basically like salty Gatorade mix). It encourages them to drink more. LOADS of shade from all the mature oak trees, thank goodness! I also have everyone clipped pretty short - I clean them up about once a month to keep their coats short. Because of my mineral supplement schedule everyone has fast growing soft fur so - they get worm fast! :)

I like the idea of the fans! I use fans in my garage which is my "barn" right now. It's where I milk. I use wet dish towels tied to the front of the fan. Then the air that blows is nice and cool. Works like a charm! So, my goats enjoy it in there. But that might have nothing to do with the cool air and could be the grain and cookies!