Debudding question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Raynee Jensen, May 10, 2018.

1. Raynee Jensen

Raynee Jensen New Member

May 6, 2018
    Aurora Oregon
    I have a 8 week old Saanen buckling that was de budded when I got him at 3 weeks old. He has just had scabs on his head until last week. I noticed that about an inch in front of his scabs he had two bumps growing, I didn’t pay too much attention to it but this week they have grown about half an inch. It looks like he is growing horns? Could the horns be growing in even though he was dis budded?

Attached Files:

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    It looks like he is growing horns. If he was not disbudded correctly, he could grow horns or scurs. You can disbud again if a disbudding iron will fit, however with that much growth already, I don't know if you will get good results.

Raynee Jensen likes this.

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Those are little scurs true horns on and saanen would be much wider.
    I'd cut off the overgrowth and reburn.
    Don't mistake the bone under the skin for horns. Saanens have very large heavy horns so they have a large noticeable support in the skull.

Raynee Jensen and yankeedoodle like this.
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You could take him back for the breeder to re-do. This happens now & then. That's what I would do, Pretty boy!

Raynee Jensen and yankeedoodle like this.
  5. Raynee Jensen

Raynee Jensen New Member

May 6, 2018
    Aurora Oregon
    I thought so, thank you. I’m really not too worried about it, it wasn’t my choice to dissbud him. I was just more surprised then anything I guess.

6. Raynee Jensen

Raynee Jensen New Member

May 6, 2018
    Aurora Oregon
    I am new to raising goats so thank you so much for your experience, what exactly are scurs?