The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here are my two kinder bucks, Phantom and Cullen. I had my sister who's never taken a goat conformation picture before behind the camera, and my bucks told me that I was crazy if I thought I was going to adjust their legs, so hopefully these pictures are good enough.馃槄 I'm currently thinking about adding a buck (news on that after the pictures), and if I decide I only want to keep two bucks at a time, one of these guys might need to go. They are full brothers so it doesn't really make sense to me to keep them both. I'm sorry about the hair on their toplines, I didn't take the time to shave them, and now seeing these pictures, I probably should have done that.

@Dandy Hill Farm and @Jubillee, I would love if you both would take a look.

Without further ado, here's Phantom first (I'll put Cullen on the second post):
Ugh, those legs just aren't in the right places.馃槵
Dog Plant Working animal Dog breed Tree
Working animal Plant Dog breed Terrestrial animal Tree
Dog breed Dog Carnivore Working animal Fawn

No, he is not pregnant, neither did he swallow a basketball. 馃槅
Eye Terrestrial animal Suidae Livestock Snout
Leg Dog breed Plant Working animal Tree

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's Cullen:
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant Working animal
Plant Working animal Dog breed Tree Goat

That's my anatolian, Nova photo bombing in the background.
Plant Dog Working animal Dog breed Tree

So I contacted the breeder I got these boys from and told her that I was looking for a buck that would give me better udder attachments, width and maybe some higher escutcheons to improve on my does. Turns out she herself is currently buck hunting for a match for two doelings she got from terrific bloodlines all the way from WI (the breeder is in GA). These does will be kidding first in 2023 and they would probably give me what I'm looking for. She showed me pictures of their dam's udders and let me tell you, the one was the best udder I've seen on a kinder. I imagine I will be waiting until 2023 to get a buckling out of one of these does, because they look outstanding.

So let me know what you think of my boys, and which do you like more?

Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Phantom has a nice healthy rumen going on there!! 馃槀 I like his width/arch in the escutcheon area. He looks like he might have a bit more rump width than his brother...

However Cullen looks like he might be a bit more blended into the neck/shoulders and a better topline...he also has better leg angulation. Also better brisket. His back legs are straighter too whereas Phantoms hock in and he toes out.

I prefer Cullen a lot more but wish he had the rump width that Phantom has. Is it a lighting/color trick or is Phantom def wider? Overall, I think Cullen would improve better.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer Cullen a lot more but wish he had the rump width that Phantom has. Is it a lighting/color trick or is Phantom def wider?
Oh Phantom is absolutely wider. It's quite drastic. I really like how balanced Cullen looks too. Murphy is out of Phantom so maybe if I breed her to Cullen that will give the best of both worlds. Thanks so much for your opinion!

Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
Here's Cullen:
View attachment 213724 View attachment 213725

That's my anatolian, Nova photo bombing in the background.
View attachment 213727

So I contacted the breeder I got these boys from and told her that I was looking for a buck that would give me better udder attachments, width and maybe some higher escutcheons to improve on my does. Turns out she herself is currently buck hunting for a match for two doelings she got from terrific bloodlines all the way from WI (the breeder is in GA). These does will be kidding first in 2023 and they would probably give me what I'm looking for. She showed me pictures of their dam's udders and let me tell you, the one was the best udder I've seen on a kinder. I imagine I will be waiting until 2023 to get a buckling out of one of these does, because they look outstanding.

So let me know what you think of my boys, and which do you like more?
The breeder you got your boys from is in ga?

Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Oh Phantom is absolutely wider. It's quite drastic. I really like how balanced Cullen looks too. Murphy is out of Phantom so maybe if I breed her to Cullen that will give the best of both worlds. Thanks so much for your opinion!
I think that would be good. If you like the resulting buck (he is built like Cullen but wide), you could keep him and send the other two on and have him as well as the new buck you'd get. Is that allowed within the kinder breeding specifications? Because he'd be a 2nd generation, yes?

Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
I too like Cullen over Phantom!! Cullen is much more balanced and blended than Phantom, IMHO. Cullen also has better rear leg angulation, pasterns, topline, brisket, and his front legs are placed a bit farther back then his brother's. Width is the thing I'm seeing that Phantom "beats" Cullen at. Overall, (like everyone else said) Cullen is definitely the better buck. I find it very interesting how different they are built despite the fact that they are FULL brothers!! Crazy!

Love Nova!! She's very beautiful!!

Yay, I'm so happy that your boys' breeder will most likely have the perfect buckling to improve your herd!! How awesome!!

I also wanted to point out how amazingly healthy and shiny you boys' coats are!! Great job! 馃ぉ

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think that would be good. If you like the resulting buck (he is built like Cullen but wide), you could keep him and send the other two on and have him as well as the new buck you'd get. Is that allowed within the kinder breeding specifications? Because he'd be a 2nd generation, yes?
That is an amazing idea. That is probably what I'll do! I had never thought of that, so thanks a ton!

@Dandy Hill Farm, I'm glad to hear that you agree. It is crazy isn't it at how different they are. I don't know if you noticed this from the pictures, but Phantom is even a great deal shorter than Cullen. I am super excited what my breeder will have for me. Thanks so much for your insight!

I will some get new pictures of Murphy tomorrow. I want to try to stack her. She'll probably let me. I might end up sharing my two adult does too. 馃槒

Registered
@Dandy Hill Farm, I'm glad to hear that you agree. It is crazy isn't it at how different they are. I don't know if you noticed this from the pictures, but Phantom is even a great deal shorter than Cullen. I am super excited what my breeder will have for me. Thanks so much for your insight!
I did notice that! So crazy!! You're welcome!! 馃グ
I will some get new pictures of Murphy tomorrow. I want to try to stack her. She'll probably let me. I might end up sharing my two adult does too. 馃槒
Can't wait to see Murphy's pictures!! And you definitely should get pictures of Prim and Bella too!! I love seeing your beautiful goats, Kinders really are such an awesome breed, I hope they became more popular soon!!

Oh, and I also want to say that I think you did a really good job with stacking your boys! 馃榿 Especially if it was your first time...my first time didn't go well at all (and that's an understatement). 馃槵馃槄

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and I also want to say that I think you did a really good job with stacking your boys!
Stacking? There was no stacking! 馃槅 I did absolutely no touching of any legs. Phantom especially would not have that. He was sure I must be about to do something terrible to him. I only manipulated them by having them step forward or backward with the treats.

Registered
Stacking? There was no stacking! 馃槅 I did absolutely no touching of any legs. Phantom especially would not have that. He was sure I must be about to do something terrible to him. I only manipulated them by having them step forward or backward with the treats.
LOL!! That's pretty much all I did for Tater, boys must be easier to stack because my girls were just NOT having it!! Good luck with your girls tomorrow, I hope they behave better than mine did and you don't have to try three times or go through 400+ pictures just to get a few half decent ones!! Sorry not very encouraging!! But really, Tater was SO much easier, one try, only 10 pictures and the 2 good ones were way better than any of my does'!! 馃槄

1 - 20 of 70 Posts