The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my little guy is feeling better, I was thinking of giving these two a proper diet.

I've been feeding them orchard hay at night and they have been getting pasture during the day. I was feeding Black Oil Sunflower Seeds at two quarts a piece (four pounds) which is a lot now that I've actually looked.

But, I'm pretty confident that this is not a properly sustained diet! XD

So, I was thinking of buying this :

I trust DuMor and their products and looking at the nutritional facts, I really like what's in it, however, I'm not sure if the fibre content or protein content is too high. It also contains Ammonium Chloride which seems to be good for goats. I'm just wondering what you all thought of this feed, or feeds you recommend. I would also like to know if I should add a second feed/grain/seed to their diet with this.

Thank you!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,593 Posts
Def too much BOSS. I think it's only a couple of tablespoons worth per goat. I like to give 16% protein (14-18% is reasonable...18% is what I give my milkers) for growing animals. I give it to my bucks during rut season too. I think for my bucks we use Dumor but it's a different one maybe...it's ok. BUt I only feed it for 2-3 months. We have a custom made 18% grain and they used to get that until they picked out what they wanted and wasted the rest. (It's textured)

But they mostly get alfalfa hay and grass hay. And sometimes alfalfa pellets. They really only get 1-1.5 lbs each of grain a day per buck. The rest is hay or alfalfa pellets. They're all between 120-150# currently.

My girls are strictly on Alfalfa hay, alfalfa pellets and a little grass hay. When they freshen, they start on the 18% dairy ration mix in addition.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,895 Posts
Do you have wethers? Here is a very helpful flow chart made by @NigerianDwarfOwner707 that tells you appropriate diets for male goats. I agree about the BOSS being way too much. I'm surprised they aren't scouring at that amount. A tablespoon or two is all they really need.;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are hard waters that aren’t high calcium too so the more you know about your water, land, and hay the better off you are.

We don’t give bucks any grains at all unless in rut. They get fed good hay and some alfalfa pellets. That’s it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,453 Posts
There are hard waters that aren't high calcium too so the more you know about your water, land, and hay the better off you are.

We don't give bucks any grains at all unless in rut. They get fed good hay and some alfalfa pellets. That's it.
Mhmm, notice how the chart says "hard (high calcium) water"! ;)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,453 Posts
I really need to know your water source @NatalieRyan , and how hard it is and high in certain minerals.

i.e. well water, city water, filtered, spring: hard, soft, etc.

Hard water may:

Leave white residue or deposits on sinks and dishes (calcium) have a sulfur/eggy smell sometimes, or leave orange staining on sinks and tubs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have well water. Definitely high in calcium and other minerals. I used an aquarium test strip on it a while back (for future fish babies). Because we do have some harmful toxins in the water, I've been using an RV filter to fill up the water troughs.

I really need to know your water source @NatalieRyan , and how hard it is and high in certain minerals.

i.e. well water, city water, filtered, spring: hard, soft, etc.

Hard water may:

Leave white residue or deposits on sinks and dishes (calcium) have a sulfur/eggy smell sometimes, or leave orange staining on sinks and tubs.

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
With that much BOSS..I would not feed any grain at all to your boys. Hay, browse, alfalfa and loose minerals only. I would also Add Ammonium chloride daily as prevention to UC.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How old is the goat by the way?
They are a year now. EDIT: They would probably be a year and half. They were guessed at 4-6 months when we first got them.

I'm also weaning them off of BOSS because I didn't find it that adequate for goats. The filter on their water is said to remove any hard minerals and I've not noticed any calcium residues on any of the troughs.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,453 Posts
If they are a year old now, they should be fine on just hay and no grain products.

If they do need weight, I would do NO BOSS. Dumor grain fed 50/50 with lespedeza pellets or 60/40(grain being the 60) dumor grain to alfalfa pellets. And not a lot each, no more than 1/2 cup at each feeding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they are a year old now, they should be fine on just hay and no grain products.

If they do need weight, I would do NO BOSS. Dumor grain fed 50/50 with lespedeza pellets or 60/40(grain being the 60) dumor grain to alfalfa pellets. And not a lot each, no more than 1/2 cup at each feeding.
Okay, thank you! Would you recommend any supplements for them? Or because they are whethers is that unnecessary?

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
All goats need a quality loose mineral. They are plenty old enough to be off feed product. Def. Add Ammonium chloride to their diet to help prevent UC..especially if they were wethered before 4 to 6 months old. Worth the effort for their health.

Best wishes

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,453 Posts
Ammonium chloride is fine to use but it's not the be all end all, you need to have a balanced diet.

If you do use ammonium chloride, make sure to use it in a pulse dosing frequency, i.e. for 3 days straight once a month, not daily.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
You might want to Research Dumor feeds. They are a decent brand..but not always good on the phosphorus : calcium ratio. I prefer Purina Goat Grower for my bucklings. I dont have wethers. 3 Bucklings and 17 does & doelings. I can put up to 5 lbs of muscle mass on my bucklings with goat grower. I do use Deraferm loose minerals and hay free choice. I give mine a small amount if Ammonium Chloride about every other week. Mine are drinking well water also. But honestly the best person I know to ask would be your county extension office..since they work in your area and have dealt with all these concerns. Hope this helps you.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Ammonium chloride is fine to use but it's not the be all end all, you need to have a balanced diet.

If you do use ammonium chloride, make sure to use it in a pulse dosing frequency, i.e. for 3 days straight once a month, not daily.
Ot is absolutely fine to give ac daily to wethers. It keeps their irine acidic so their bodies do not have a happy place to actually make stones.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Iirc you have wethers. Hay, forage and pasture, a good loose mineral, ac for just in case is truly all they have to have. If you want to give them pellet...a handful of alfalfa pellet twice a day is ok too. Boss in limited amounts (a teaspoon or two)....like a treat a few times a week is all mine get it in winter for a tad extra fatty stuff is fine too.

The most important thing with wethers is the calcium to phosperous ratio. We have very hard water here and this is what my wether gets and he does just fine along with our bucks. I had a wether with stones once and after i learned how to feed him and he did get ac daily he never got anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts