The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I have been contemplating a lot recently about a final plan for my old pet wether. He is nearing 12 and has held up well considering his age, we have owned him for 11 years. With some of his important teeth gone we have had to really get strict with his feed and now he is on an old man's mush. He has arthritis in his hind end which makes laying down hard but he otherwise keeps up with the young ones.
My question is, when did you decide to put down your oldies?
I do not want to wait until there is no other option because that would not be fair to him, I also do not want to do it too early because that would hurt any valuable time I could spend with him. I read a story saying how to pick a date and stick with it, while I always thought thats what I would do but its a little different when youre faced with it.
What do you look for when youre making that decision?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I feel for you! I had to make that decision for my old dog back in December. I had decided that I would have her put to sleep when she wasn't enjoying life any more. She was in some pain, but she still had that spark in her eyes. When the spark started to sputter out, I knew it was close to her time, so I made plans for her end to be as stress-free as possible. Looking back, I think I should have maybe made the call a day or so before I did, but she was the kind of dog that just kept on trying. I gave up when she did. Next time, I may make the call a little earlier. These are the kinds of things you learn over time. I know that she felt loved up until the end, and I made the best decision I could at the time. The temptation is always there to 'see if they bounce back' or 'just wait 'til tomorrow'. I'm glad you're thinking this stuff through now, so you can be prepared when the time comes.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
We have a 12 year old doe who struggles to eat our seed mix.. We ended up getting her granola type sweet feed for sr horses for her and she is doing great on that. Gained her full figure back lol. As long as she is healthy, not showing to be in pain..she will remain here. But the moment we see her quality of life is diminished then we will help her cross that bridge.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
My mama and i had this convo only yesterday about her old dog. He has been going downhill for several months and i have kinda mentioned it here and there to kinda try to help her get ready. She has been making him chicken and rice off and on and has to help him get up every single time he need go out. He is not a small dog.... 100ish pound of dog. Yesterday she called me because he fell off the ramp they use for him goin in and out. She needed me help get him up. I asked how he had been this week. Not good. He has been up and down every thirty min since monday. I was much more serious yesterday about him. Told her to stop looking and thinkin with her human heart and watch him and listen to him. Today she called me and told me to schedule the vet to come out for Spike. He is dribbling and does not even realize it now. So i am telling you the same thing.... listen to your precious boy and love him fiercely until he tells you it is time. He will let you know sweetheart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts