Decoquinate in milkers?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Perfect7, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Okay, probably yet another stupid question from me but....I feed our goats Noble Goat medicated with Decoquinate. It was great for the meat goats, and love it. But, now we've added a nubian that we are milking. Is it okay to feed this to her and milk for human consumption? I know the bag says no, but I've read conflicting reports on the internet since it's in small quantities (no milk withdrawal time). Anybody else do it, or should I buy our Nubian her own seperate feed? I really don't want my kids to develop goat poo or anything. :p Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe thats a coccidia medication? I wouldnt drink the milk if the goat is on a medicated feed. Thats just me personally.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Same here, I do an individual cocci prevention with kids for that reason, I want the milk and don't want any meds in it.

Since you are milking her, feeding her an un mediccated ration while she's on the milkstand is simple, your others can still have the medicated also, she is a dairy goat so her nutritional requirements will be a bit different.

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you! Yes, feeding her seperately is easy enough. I will pick up a bag of unmedicated today and some alfalfa pellets since she's used to getting that as well.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: