The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sad and mad at myself at the same time!

I just lost a 4 month old doeling two days ago, she had lost A LOT of weight, and went down hill fast, her rumen stop working a few day before I lost her.

I have researched her symptoms until I was blue in the face and I thought she had Deerworms (Meningeal worms) She had the common signs, the arched back, weakness in her legs, and a sore spot on her neck that she scratched a lot,
So instead of taking her to my vet that I commonly use (Texas A&M) I decided to treat her myself.
I started my giving her 1cc of Exede (Antibiotic) then 2cc of Ivomec Plus a day, I also gave her Nutri drench because of the weight loss, and 5cc a day of Vit B to help get her rumen going again.

Well after 2 days of treatment, I went to check on her after a big storm we had and I noticed that the rain had blown in her stall and she hadn't even moved out of it, so she was a little wet but fine. So I covered her up with a towel and left. Well I was coming back about an hour later and found out my 3 LGDs had got out when a tree fell on the fence and were now in the neighbour's cattle pasture. So I had to go get them and about 30 min later when I finally got back to the doeling she was dead.

I am so mad at myself that I didn't take her to the vet, if I had they might have found out that she had something totally different and had been able to save her, but they might not have, she was too far gone when I started treating her in the first place, I mean she had lost about 10lbs in about a week.

Well I burned the carcass and all the bedding that had been in her stall. But the thing I am worried about know Is I have two other does one 5 years old and the other 8 years old that have small sores on their bodies now too, one of them (the older one) spent a lot of time laying with the doeling I lost, So I think she may have given it to her. I have these two does separated from the herd in my nursery pen (I brought my two bottle babies in the house for now until this is all cleared up)

So what do yall think? do you think it was deerworms that killed the doeling? and do you think the other two does could have it know too?

I have started treating these does as well, 1 shot of exede to help them fight it off, and a shot of ivomec a day for 7 days. Then I will give safeguard for 5 days

Is there anything else I can do for them? they are still eating and drinking fine and haven't lost any weight so far so that is a good sign. but I am still not sure if they have deer worms or not, is there anything else it could be?
The sores are all over their bodies in random places, so not CL.

sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Kat

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
I would be giving them the Safeguard at the same time as the Ivomec. But really I would just take them to the vet. It is so hard to say with what you described. It definitely doesn't hurt to do the treatment for Meningeal worm though since they get a really good deworming.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
deerworm isnt contagious between goats but each goat can get infected separately.

I wouldnt say your goats have deerworm just from what you describe. A vet visit would be a good idea and to run a fecal for other worms

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
the skin sores can be too many things from fungal to viral to parasites such as mites or lice..a vet visit would be best

take temps
check eye lids for color
are they eating drinking and pooping berries> peeing ok?
Make that appointment with A&M...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts