The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My does are showing signs of copper deficiency (STILL), but they won't eat minerals! I've tried two different kinds of mineral and they just don't seem interested! :confused: Ideas on how to get them to eat?? Thanks!

The mineral types I tried were Sweetlix Meat Maker and Manna Pro.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Did you ever get the Replamin Plus? I was reading somewhere else that people are giving it weekly to their deficient goats and seeing good results.

I use Cargill Right Now Onyx Cattle mineral and mine are eating it but they did also eat the Manna Pro just fine. You could put it on their feed. Wet the feed a little and sprinkle it on.

·
558 Posts
You could put it on their feed. Wet the feed a little and sprinkle it on.
I am going to try that. Hardly ever see mine eating it either and the feeder is still full.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put minerals in my hand with goat treats. Slowly i put less treats. Now my goats eat their minerals out of my hand every night before bed.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!! I would put it over their feed, but I have a few REALLY picky eaters who would turn up their noses at it. :(

Karen, I did order the Replamin Plus and dosed them, and one doe is looking much better, but the other one is actually looking worse. :( Do you think it would be safe to dose her again? I gave it to them about two weeks ago.

I'll mix some minerals in with the non-picky eaters grain, and I'll try the treat method with the others and let you know how it goes! :)

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
I actually just dosed mine again and it has been 2 weeks.

Have you gotten any kelp? I would see if they would eat kelp. If you can order it through your local feed store, that would be good because they can eat a lot initially. I went through a whole 50 lb bag for 6 Nigerian goats in the first month. Now they eat it like they do their minerals.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have some kelp I ordered from Hoeggers, and they LOVE to eat it. They finish it off really fast and leave the minerals lonely. Lol

What dosage do you do your Replamin at? I heard it was 5 ccs per goat, though I went a little under that when I dosed mine (I was nervous about ODing them Lol) Can I give it to 4-5 month old doelings, and what dose? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
For my goats:They get free-choice Atlantic Kelp, Bicarbonate soda, manna-pro goat minerals, zinpro 4-plex, and yeast culture. They get copper boluses at least 3 times a month.
Although it is quite expensive giving them such, it is WELL WORTH IT AND I SWEAR BY IT. Ever since I started this, their coats are very shiny and glossy. Production is better, immune systems are much better. I no longer have to deworm that often because ever since I did this management they got rid of the worm load. haha.
If you would like, I can give you phone numbers for some of these items because some are pretty hard to find.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Half a chance, thank you! I would love some phone numbers especially for the kelp and zinpro. You copper bolus three times a month?! :O

·
Registered
198 Posts
Half a chance, thank you! I would love some phone numbers especially for the kelp and zinpro. You copper bolus three times a month?! :O
A meant a year. Haha. Dont do that a month!! I will get you the phone numbers in a little bit.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A meant a year. Haha. Dont do that a month!! I will get you the phone numbers in a little bit.
Oh good! You had me worried there for a second... Lol And, thank you!

Karen, thanks! Does the five ccs dosage sound right for adults?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
That is what I have been giving my Nigerians. The Replamin is new to me too so I'm still figuring things out.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, that sounds good; I think I'm just a little paranoid about getting toxicity of some type. Lol

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts