defrosting milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by nhsmallfarmer, Jan 14, 2009.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I froze a bunch of milk last late summer early fall to carry us through the winter while I am not milking, well when I try to defrost it it seperates looks gross, noone will drink it but its good enough to cook with (pudding, cream base stuff ect.)
    I packed it raw then froze it. should I process it first ?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thats what happens. I don't think you can stop it from happening, but I'm not sure. :shrug:

It is still good, but it looks too gross for me to drink so I didn't bother freezing any of mine. lol

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you thaw it in a warm water bath and use a stick blender it will come back together.....I thaw mine at room temp and have it used up within 3-4 days

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Just shake the h*** out of it before you pour it and it will mix back together. I froze tons of milk and that is what we do - is just shake it before we look at it and its all good! :ROFL: :ROFL:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    One thing I have noticed is that the longer it's in the freezer, the more likely it is that it will separate, if you do thaw at room temp over night, be sure to use it up within a few days.

6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks so much everyone, I really had thought I had done something wrong

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Mine doesnt do that when I defrost it :shrug:

I just get it out of the freezer and leave it sitting on the kitchen bench.

Occasionally I get one bottle (out of like twenty or thirty) that do that, I throw it away. When I look up my records for the milk taken on that date, it is the stuff that got lots of hay/hair in it. I strain it well, but it seems to do something to it when you freeze it.

But mostly, I dont have a problem defrosting milk :scratch:

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    When I've had milk separate, I just put it in the blender.