The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've got a Nigerian Dwarf buckling that is one month old tomorrow, and needs to be disbudded/dehorned. Since he's already a month old and his little horns are too big for the iron, are there any other options?

·
Super Moderator
58,881 Posts
You can take him to a vet and have him dehorned or band the horns. But the horns have to be big enough for bands to be constricting so it is probably too early for banding.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can take him to a vet and have him dehorned or band the horns. But the horns have to be big enough for bands to be constricting so it is probably too early for banding.
Yeah, that's what I thought -- just hoping there was something else I didn't know about that might work... Ok then, thanks much for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,558 Posts
I don't know much about this, so you'd need the advice of someone more experienced here, but depending on how they look I think they can be filed or trimmed so they aren't as sharp. Also I know some people do something with pool noodles or tennis balls. @Sfgwife @mariarose @toth boer goats @SalteyLove @SandyNubians These people might know. I just hailed them for you.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've disbudded them at a month old.
It's harder with bucks but can be done.
So do you file the horn down first? Or just put the hot iron on it and burn it down until it rests on the skull? Is there any danger to doing it this way, other than a bigger baby is stronger and won't fit in a kid box, so will be harder to hold still...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here he is with is sister. We were able to do her this morning, but have not attempted him yet. My husband says no, just let him be a horned goat, but he'll be harder to sell if I don't get them off. Too big?
IMG_8131.JPG
IMG_8133.JPG

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O...He's so handsome! And she's a doll! Keep us posted on what you do and how it turns out!
Aw, thanks! They are cuties, aren't they! We plan to keep the girl and sell the boy -- though he will probably have to go to his new home with horns! (and a hoof trim - they're ready for their first one!)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
So do you file the horn down first? Or just put the hot iron on it and burn it down until it rests on the skull? Is there any danger to doing it this way, other than a bigger baby is stronger and won't fit in a kid box, so will be harder to hold still...
Looking at the pictures he looks to big to do yourself.
I've done one almost that big. I cut the horn off with hoof trimming sheers first and then burn.
A vet could do it, but he would cut the horn off before he burned it with the goat sedated.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking at the pictures he looks to big to do yourself.
I've done one almost that big. I cut the horn off with hoof trimming sheers first and then burn.
A vet could do it, but he would cut the horn off before he burned it with the goat sedated.
Ah, ok. I was wondering! Our local vet is not great, so we need to learn how to do this stuff ourselves. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment -- and to everyone on this thread who helped. Appreciate it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts