dehorning. Need advice !!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by karmouth, Feb 1, 2009.

1. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    We( mostly my dear husband ) will be dehorning the new babies today . This is the 1st time for us on our own. Last time my DH did it with a friend with lots of experience . I am a nervous wreck!!! . I was told to give them 1/2 cc of tenus prior to doing it .Is there any thing else is should do ? Do I need to cool their lil heads with something immediately afterward? All suggestion needed
    Karen

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The first kids ever t be disbudded from here were done last year by a breeder friend, all I did was shave their little heads...he did the deed and all was well, they were let out of the holding box and nothing more was done. Except me cuddling them of course.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup shave the area, then burn. I sometimes will put some aloe plant on it if I have it handy

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    When I do it, I have never shaved - just burned the hair with the burner (this year I bought razors :leap: ) anyway, I have icecubes available. I burn the numbs, place the ice cube on it, pop the top off of it, then burn again to make sure that I got it good - then they get lovings and go back to momma - but that was how I was taught to do it.

I also bought the Furall Spray to put on the nubs after disbudding.

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I don't want to promote any unnessicary alchohol use here, but I drink a half of a beer before dehorning, just to steady my nerves. I noticed if some one else does my dehorning, I get really mad at them, thinking how mean they are!! Isn't that funny!!??
    I do always shave, clean, give a tetnas shot, and rescue remedy, then do the burning, then finish my beer..

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is awesome Victoria - I was going to put that in - but decided not to - but glad I am not the only one!! We have to do something for ourselves to get through it also!

7. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    Well we ( mostly DH ) did it !!! DH gave the shot, I placed them in the box and then ran to the tack room and turned up the radio so not to hear them . He yell they are all set and I took them out and gave them back to mommy, They seemed to be over the trauma in no time at all. Thanks for advice . I was just so nervous it being the 1st time .I told my husband before we started that no matter what happened it was not his fault and I would yell and cry but I was not going to be mad at him . Luckily everything were great .
    Karen

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats great!! good of you to forwarn you husband.

I just disbudded a kid today for a friend. All went well and I taught showed her how to do it. She is just starting out on her goat raising so she wants to learn how to do it all.