Dehorning paste and dehorning with Castration bands?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jarrod & Jody, Oct 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I have heard you can dehorn any age with castration bands, I haven’t tried I want to make sure this is true. Plus! Has any one used dehorning paste? I just don’t want to stress my herd out at all.

Attached Files:

2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    we burn the horn buds off the kids. They will scream but when u let them out, they act like nothing happened. id just have a vet do it because their can be things that go wrong.

Jarrod & Jody likes this.

3. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    While you can dehorn with castration bands, I do not recommend it. Personally, I would rather re-home a goat than band its horns because that is typically a long, painful, and traumatic process that leaves most goats very head shy. I don't recommend banding unless a goat is so dangerous with its horns that the alternative is to put it down. If you decide not to disbud your kids, then be prepared to stick with the decision and plan your herd, your fences, your feeders, etc. accordingly. Horned goats do require a different management style than dehorned ones.

If you decide that horns won't work with your plans, go ahead and get those kids disbudded when they're young. Paste and the iron are both traumatic and painful. I recommend giving a dose of banamine before using either one. The iron is quicker but I think the pain is much more acute. You can use the iron when the kids are older. If you use paste, be prepared to use it within the first 2-3 days for bucks and 3-5 days for does. Paste is also painful and you have to leave it on for 20-30 minutes and be very careful not to get it anywhere except on the top of the head. This means holding the kids the entire time the paste works so they can't rub it on other parts of their body or on other goats. We've had fewer scurs using paste, but I wish it worked as quickly as the iron. Both methods are horrible and barbaric in my opinion, but they're what we're stuck with if we don't want horns.

Goat_Scout and Jarrod & Jody like this.
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I tried banding last year for the very first time. I think it is extremely difficult to get the bands low enough and horns regrew into scurs. I lost one very nice doe to tetanus that I think happened through the bloody horn base. Everyone I have left (I've been selling my goats) that I tried banding has ended up head shy.

I would not judge it an outstanding success. I don't recommend it.

Jarrod & Jody and Goat_Scout like this.