Dehorning procedure with pictures

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goathappy, Nov 10, 2007.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Stacey, I agree, everybody needs a pasture ornanment, and Gus LOVES to snuggle. Caesar is sweet too but Caesar is sticky :roll: I remember when Gus had pneumonia, we had to have him in the house, and the only way he would sleep is curled up with me on the couch, he is so sweet :p
    cute kids,
    His sinuses will take probably about 2 weeks to fully close, he still has a little hole that he's blowing bubbles out of but it is closing up.
    One of the biggest reasons to remove scurs is because the bigger ones(like Gus') will break off and bleed quite a bit. Gus' scurs were just like horns, but scurs themselves are weaker in structure than real horns are. Gus' scurs were significantly weakened after he had the tree branch fall on his head, it actually repositioned the scurs. Caesar broke his scur while fighting. I have does with small scurs that break off about once a month, no biggy. I have a couple that I need to band the scurs. You see, with wethers, they do not have the hormones that bucks have, so things like that either a) don't grow or b) if they do grow, it's not very fast. On Caesar, there was a little bit the vet missed when she took off his one scur, and that is already growing back. It will be taken care of in January.
    Gus was the first kid I disbudded and I freaked out on him and messed him up. My mom re-disbudded him 2 weeks later but he still ended up with scurs.
    With your guys, if the scurs aren't that big, I would recommend just banding them, that would be the easiest thing to do.

2. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    thanks, sarah. the scurs now are one inch, if that, so still quite small. can you band when this small, or should i just wait and see and then band when a little longer?

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can band them when they are small, it is better to get them now than it is for the scurs to get bigger and get knocked off. I'll have to look, but I think on that thread on band dehorning(I forget if its this forum or CSC) I posted a link with pics on band dehorning. Basicly you shave the area around the scurs, then take an elastrator band and put it all the way at the bottom of the scur, on the fleshy base(if you get it higher than the fleshy base you won't get a good job done) then after the band has been placed, you put electrical tape and duct tape over it to keep it in place.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I found a great website for banding horns, but I can't remember it.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, thanks for the pictures. They were pretty bad for the weak stomach, but the warning was great.
    Glad to hear he is better.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  7. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    very nice website. great instructions and photos. she says between 7-9 months is best, so i guess i am off to buy an elastrator. i also need to build a stancion!!!!
    thanks for the link and advice.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No problem. Any other questions, feel free to ask :D

9. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    OMG!!!!! HOW SAD!!!!! We had that done twice and they were younger but they had a big ''helmet'' on too. I shouldn't have looked. It is terrible that my simon and daisy went through that. They were miserable afterwards. Lola died from it. Simon had diarrhea. Daisy was crying. The vet put it on tight on simon and he was gasping for air. And for simon who was a month old it cost $350! The vet charged $25 for a tetnus shot and $25 for bantimine. I never liked that vet anyway. He gave Lola too much anestisia and that killed her. We have a nice vet now. Was your goat upset afterwards?????

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No, he wasn't to upset, he hurt alot though.
    Anestethia and goats tend to not mix, so it is VERY important that you have a good vet taht knows how to give it to goats. Local anestethia usually does little or no harm, general and gas masks you have to stay away from.

11. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Did the vet use local and sedation or general?????

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    SHe used local and I *think* she used sedation but I'm not sure, I'll have to check. To my knowledge, you cannot use general on a goat.

13. laststraw

laststraw Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    I just wanted to say, once again, how much I appreciate this forum! I learn so much from reading these threads. It is absolutely invaluable. Thank you for sharing!!

14. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I feel for you and Gus...

We have had 3 pygmy weathers done because their horns came back well 2 had been done as babies and one we got at 5 mo and did not want horns.... BUT at the time I thought it was a good thing but unless it was a emergency I would not do it again...

BUT I NEVER SAY NEVER... IT was very hard on them and us... I love my animals and hate to see them unhappy... The first one was at the vets till he woke up

the other two I had done the same day and I brought them home a sleep... They stayed in the kitchen that night lucky they are small and could stay in a dog crate...

So Good Luck with GUS and give him a huge from me

and Cody, Renny and Trey they feel for him..

Donna B

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing that, I know how stressful it is on both the goat and yourself. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Gussy is back to himself, he's starting to grow little scurs back on the one side *dang it* I'll band them when they get bigger.

He's so funny, if you let him out he jumps and twists around, he's such a happy fella :D

I'm still waiting for Caesar's goat coat to come(hopefully today) then I have to make an app. to take his other scur off. (oh joy)

16. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    OH I was not saying you were wrong for doing it!THAT IS IT YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!

Cody, Renny and Trey had it done last winter and are all doing great and are happy little boys... :D

and everyone is much safer with the horns gone... We are getting their Mother next month and she has horns I do not want to get them done but you never know what could happen--

I do not want people or goats to get hurt and for everyone safety if I had to I would have them removed... Just don't like the thought of it.. :lol:

Donna B

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh, I didn't mean anything by that, I was just saying ya gotta do what you gotta do :wink:

I agree with you, about safety issues(I've been hit in the face by horns more than once) and I've also seen what horns can do to goats.

18. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Oh, how good it went well! And cred to your vet, please!

Funny, I had to read the thread (is that the English word for a discussion like this one?) three times before I realised there were two billies on the pictures... :oops: I could not understand where the third horn came from (Latin: cornus) ... :scratch:

So I registered on this forum, to ask about that ... :) OK, now I am here, and I could just as well stay, what do you think? :wave:

In my own flock of goats, in happy memory, I had one accident with a broken horn, which led to an operation similar to this one. But it was long ago, and was made with simpler methods. Rompun, though, that is a good medicine. (Only remember that goats requre much less than cows, per kilogramme body weight. And the african dwarf goats, in case some of you have such, still less. Too much of the drug will kill them.)

Kindest regards from
    /Trollmor

19. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Re:

Lovely goats! They are well able to be trained, almost like dogs. :love:

But banding "horns"? If I understand correctly, this is painful.

20. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden