Dehorning question/tetanus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Sep 19, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    When dehorning using castration bands is it recommended to give a tetanus shot at any time during the dehorning process? I put the bands on Pickles horns today. She is UTD on CD/T. The horns are about 4" long and about an inch wide at the base. I shaved around the horns before putting the bands on so they wouldn't slip. Right now shes royally P.O'ed and screaming her head off. I will go out and give her a little Motrin for the pain. The horns are not really hard, I can press in on the base of them, so this hopefully won't take that long.
    crocee

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She should be fine with the tetanus vaccine...I would just watch for infection.....as far as the Motrin goes...I'm not sue it's safe for a preggy doe to have :shrug:

3. horseysale

horseysale New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Crocee,

How did your goat do with the elastrator bands? I noticed your post was from a few weeks ago.....

I just put them on my goat a few days ago & he screamed bloody murder for about an hour & then just sulked for two days after. Now he seems like nothing has happened to him. How do you know the bands are working? Did your goat go back to acting normal after the inital few days of putting them on? I shaved his head & pushed the bands down as far as I could get them to go & like I mentioned, he sure let us know he wasn't happy about it -- but now it's like nothing. Are they working?

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I answered your question in your other post, its a little more detailed, but Pickles did great.
    crocee