The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in the Caprine Supply catalog that I am supposed to vaccinate for tetanus before dehorning?

The babies are just about 3 weeks old. I did the moms (CD/T) before delivery (i'd have to check the dates, but i did it when i was supposed to, maybe 4 weeks before delivery? something like that) And by tetanus, do they mean tetanus alone, or the CD/T?

I found someone to help me who has done it before, I think i am only doing the two or three biggest boys to start b/c i have to transport them to her, but I am a bit worried that they might be too big. They are definite horns. (maybe a half inch long or so) I think they doubled in size overnight. The Caprine Supply catalog had directions, and they were really casual about bigger horns, just said 'burn the horns around the tips, flick the tips off, and then burn some more, or you can saw off the tips and cauterize' (like i would do that)

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I never give anything when disbudding

If the individual knows how to disbud then they should be familiar with how to burn the larger horns as well. It just takes a longer burn and I actually like to do them when they are bigger personally. Because I then know that I got it all because I can SEE it and feel it more. after burning I wait and watch to see if they bleed. If it bleeds I burn a little more to cauterize it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
We didn't do it around the timing of the disbudding but it did work out to being around the time of banding. Since we gave the shots at 8 weeks and banded them by 10 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts