Dehorning

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by crocee, Apr 7, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am bringing home 2 almost 4 month old little girls on either Thursday or friday and they have little spikes that are too big to burn. The spikes are a little over an inch so this is beyond my ability and will hand this one off to the vet. With the small spikes will he be able to just clip the spikes off and burn or will he have to do the scoop method? The clip and burn will be the best for my stomach since I will be there with them. With this method is there a greater chance of scurs? TIA for all replies.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would ask him what method he plans on using but hopefully he can snip and burn that would be nice.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will be asking beforehand, I was just wondering if anyone knew what the probable coarse of action would be. I would leave them but only one of my goats has horns, the rest have small scurs or scurs that have been clipped. Most of the scurs are loose and should fall off with a minimal of head butting.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well it depends on the vet - each has their own preference. I have never had this situation though :/

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I had a little buck I brought home with inch to inch and a half horns. I was going back and forth on what to do. Talked to a goat friend who took care of it for me. He lopped the tip of the horn off and cauterized it real quick before doing the full burn. So far so good, and we have had our (now whether) in residence for about 6 weeks with no signs of scurs.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The little horns were too big to be done with the disbud iron and would have entailed a full scoop out de horning which was way beyond my budget. The vet said I could band them and then burn but may have some scurs. Scurs I can take care of. Since the girls are little the horns are not real hard yet so the banding should work. Only time will tell.