The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a six month old doe who wasn't disbudded or dehorned by her previous owners when she was young. I had heard a few things about dehorning with castrator bands but I wasn't sure if it was possible. Has anyone else tried this method or have a better method?

·
2,203 Posts
I have a six month old doe who wasn't disbudded or dehorned by her previous owners when she was young. I had heard a few things about dehorning with castrator bands but I wasn't sure if it was possible. Has anyone else tried this method or have a better method?
It does work. Takes a bit of maintaining though. Make a little notch in the horn close to the skull and put two bands on there.

I prefer gouge and burn myself. We did a yearling doe (we do cattle all the time) earlier this year and her head is beautiful. No scurs, nice and flat.

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
When doing it on a young doe, you want to make sure you get as FAR down as possible - if their horns keep growing, you may end up with a silly looking girl with horn nubs! My Mini Nubian ended up that way. But horn nubs are better than horns and you can sometimes band again.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have never tried it, but have a couple of does i'd like to try it on. i have seen someone in the process of it. it looks silly but if it works i'll try it my self

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank y'all very much, I'm going to band this next week and I'll keep an update going to make sure I'm doing it right;)!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts