The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a growing number of mature does with horns in our milking herd and I would really like to see them gone to make life in the parlour easier and have less problems with boss goats.
My question, being very new to the goat industry, is can mature goats be dehorned? Ive dehorned many cattle in my day and have no problem doing it, just wondering if the same thing is possible with goats?:whatgoat:

·
Registered
199 Posts
It can be done by a vet safely and humanely. I've seen someone "band" a mature goat's horns but it was very painful for him. I later learned from my vet that it is not something she would recommend due to infection and blood vessels in the horns. I've heard some people have sawed them but I couldn't imagine! That seems too cruel to me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Banding the horns is not a big deal. http://goat-info.com/removing%20horns%20adult.htm Once they fall off, you can take the disbudder and go over it.
My vet said there is a very high risk in infection, has that been your experience? I know the process looked to give the goat a splitting head ache, like an extreme migraine. But if a bad head ache is the extent of it, I'd say that's better than hurting another goat in the herd any day.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
I have read up on banding a lot and have chimed in and asked questions on here and seems banding is not that bad. There is always a chance for infection even if a vet were to cut the clhorns off for you the chance is there....the same as pain. Nothing you do is going to be 100% pain free. I guess what it comes down to is if its worth it to you to take the horns off. For me with the fighting heads getting stuck and one with dangerous horns for my kids eye balls it will be worth it for me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ironically I came outside to Whitlow the Super Wether bleeding down his face from his scur. Wonder if I should go ahead and band him and my doe with the half horn? Nervous but I don't want this to happen again.

Dog Carnivore Whiskers Liver Fawn

I cleaned it for now, I think he got it caught in something and yanked back. Because it isn't a full horn, it's loose.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
Its not a very big scur.....I would just cut it off and maybe burn and be done with it. I have a few that are small like that and when I get the time gonna cut them off instead of waiting for the band to make them fall off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts