The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two twin doelings (Nubians) that are 10 months old. They haven't had one noticeable heat cycle yet. Can doelings be this old without having their first heat cycle?

They are both about 90 lbs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are so big and beautiful that I was hoping I may be able to breed them this or next month.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
2,332 Posts
I have had some Nubians not come into heat their first year. It's also pretty late in the season. I have a 10 month old right now...shes a tad underweight so she wasnt bred this year, but I havent seen one heat in her this whole season.

It's possibly theirs are fairly subtle...but higher likelyhood maybe they arent ready yet. Some lines mature differently and dont cycle until their second fall.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
I appreciate your responses.

We even had the vet take a look at them and he saw no activity (folicles,etc...) in the ultrasound.
Then their bodies aren’t ready yet. They don’t have the hormones needed to stimulate reproductive cycles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love these doelings. Their mother had a great milk supply and easy udder to milk with large plump teats. I am so excited to milk these does next year, or hopefully next year :)

I have another doe right now I'm milking for the third year and she gives me a lot of milk, but her teats are small and her udder is tough. I'm so looking forward to milking an easy udder again!

I also purchased a buckling with excellent genetics and would love the combination of him with each of these two girls.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts