Demi's udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by lesserweevil, Jul 23, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I was bored so I thought I'd post pictures of Demi's udder that I took while home this week

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the funny thing is that you can't really see when it's full how lopsided it is when it's empty. The left (port) side of her udder is quite limp when empty while the right (s'bord) side is still fairly meaty. And the left teat hangs lower and is quite a bit larger.

I got about 4 litres out of her after milking here... a total of 6 litres in the day.

LW

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Her attachments look really pretty good. The fore definatly needs more extension. Her teats need more deliniation. They area a little larger then i would like. Have you tested her for mastitis on the meaty side?
    beth

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very nice! She has a really wide rear and high too :greengrin:

As far as the right side being "meaty"......you just pulled her kids right? I noticed with my girls that when they are nursing kids 24/7 or even 12/7 that the glandular tissue is abundant, my theory is that since the kids are keeping her "empty" she has the room for those glands to fill the udder while making all that milk, once she is just being milked 2x a day with no kids, that tissue will be less. Also, since there is more on the right than the left, my guess is that Mocha was emptying "his" side and taking from Java's share...which would make Demi produce more on the right. This is just my opinion though, I have milked my girls for years after they have raised kids and this is what I noticed with them....and they never had mastitis :)

She does have some very big teats, as Beth said though, more definition to them would be ideal......and my guess would be that the bigger one was Mocha's tap, bucklings tend to be more voracious eaters!

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Mocha is the little brown girl :wink:

They both used to drink from the smaller side - the right side which is more meaty. Going over to the larger looser side when the smaller side was used up.

She doesn't have mastitis, it's been like that ever since she started bagging up.

Her teats are large, can easily get my hand around the left one and almost entirely around the other, so I just milk with my whole hand! Unlike Whisper's where I milk with 2 fingers and thumb!!!

LW

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He he he....Duh! Java is the " blackcoffee" boy.....shoulda known that from the pic and Mocha is the spotty girl.

Hey, if you are pleased with how well she is milking and how easy it is and she's healthy, thats what counts.....which the amount she's giving you is great! Just about 2 gallons a day! AWESOME......Can you imagine my little girls giving that much? :shocked:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats quite the capacity!!! wow