The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe, Spirit, was bred twice. The first time, she miscarried. The second time, she gave birth to triplets but one was born dead, the second one died 2 hours later, and the third died three days later even after we gave him electrolytes, kept a heater on him and checked on him every hour. We eventually milked spirit and had to tube feed him but then he died and spirit got mastitis a few days later. We eventually got her all healed but she still isn't herself and all this happened back in February! I don't know what to do for her! She was so sweet and gentle with her baby and would wrap her neck around him and keep him close to her chest while he was sleeping and even though she had never been milked before, she let us milk her and didn't kick a single time and let us do everything that we needed to do for her baby without interfering. How can I help her cheer up even though it has already been so long? I though time would help her get over it but she just stands in her stall with her head hanging down an her tail and ears dropping. The vet said that she is physically healthy so she isn't sick. Please help me!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I think it is time to get a bottle baby :thumbup: She desperately wants to be a momma, because it is her instinct and she has lost all of the kids that she birthed.

If not, you can maybe figure out what went wrong in the pregnancies, such as a deficiency, and try to fix it. Then she may be able to be rebred and can mother her own young.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is time to get a bottle baby :thumbup: She desperately wants to be a momma, because it is her instinct and she has lost all of the kids that she birthed.

If not, you can maybe figure out what went wrong in the pregnancies, such as a deficiency, and try to fix it. Then she may be able to be rebred and can mother her own young.
We looked for kids for a little while but none were in our price range and the right size bc she is a pretty big doe (she is the red one)

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Six isn't a bad age for breeding; some does can breed until they are near 12. I would definitely read up on abortion causes and attempt to figure out what happened those two times before rebreeding her.

Kids are going to be a bit small no matter what, so it is fine if the kid doesn't come up to her size right away.

Another thing I would think of is treats! Goats will do anything for a treat, and I think it would cheer her up a bit :)

·
Registered
29,967 Posts
I agree...she needs a little one to raise...doesnt have to be the same breed or size..she willlove him or her either way...if she is healthy other wise..b complex is a good booster for stress..

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
You will have to bottle feed the kid if you get one, but it could still live in her pen with her. Do you have any other does in milk?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Awe.. She looks so cute and adorable and also the goat next to her! They appear to be healthy. She has a good looking coat. Sorry for your loss and hers! I know goats love animal crackers. I don't know how you feel about giving them some but mine go crazy for it! Just a thought.. I take one goat at a time and put them on a leash and walk them like I do my dog. away from the barn, pasture, and pen and I spend time with each goat individually. They love the one-on-one attention I give them. Maybe this might help.. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awe.. She looks so cute and adorable and also the goat next to her! They appear to be healthy. She has a good looking coat. Sorry for your loss and hers! I know goats love animal crackers. I don't know how you feel about giving them some but mine go crazy for it! Just a thought.. I take one goat at a time and put them on a leash and walk them like I do my dog. away from the barn, pasture, and pen and I spend time with each goat individually. They love the one-on-one attention I give them. Maybe this might help.. just a suggestion.
Thank you :) I tried this today. I walked her through the woods and by some cornfields and found out that she REALLY is fascinated with lightening bugs haha she seemed to cheer up a little too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts