The Goat Spot Forum banner

depressed goat?

4K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  mmkeilman 
#1 ·
I have a 1.6 year old Boer doe (Rose). She had her first kid (single buckling) in January. I sold the kid 3 days ago. Rose watched me take him, put him in the car, and drive away. Ever since, she is not doing much but laying around away from the herd, grinding her teeth. She will get up and drink, move to another spot to lay down, eats if hand fed, and just general acts depressed! She still enjoys me scratching and loving on her and looks for food when I bring her leaves and other things to eat. So she still has a good appetite... has this ever happened to anybody? Any suggestions??? In my herd she still has her mother and sister, so she's not without a close bond.

#3 ·
Some of our does seem to mope around a little when we first take their kids, some of them never even call for them when they're gone.
The ones that get upset usually just need a bit more attention from us for a couple of days then they are fine.
Mine normally only grind their teeth when they aren't feeling well.
So I'm not sure on that part. Did you worm her since the kid was born?
Does her udder seem normal? Just throwing things out there.
I'm sure someone will be here that knows more about what to look for soon. ^-^

#4 ·
awww! poor girl!!! i'm sad just looking at her!!!

i don't have much experience, but from what I've read isn't grinding teeth a sign that they're in pain and have tummy troubles? have you taken a temp to see if there's anything else wrong with her?

#5 ·
Aaaaaawwwwww poor thing:( Have you taken her temp? I know you mentioned her appetite is good but is she having any diarrhea? Drinking good? I might think to have a fecal checked on her......when was the last time she was dewormed?

#7 ·
Thanks y'all! Udder is fine (I'm a milker so I checked it first). She was wormed when she kidded in January (color is still good). Poop is normal. She does get up to drink then lays back down. I didn't think to take her temp. Grinding teeth is usually indicative of pain/discomfort but I've checked her over a million times and can't seem to find anything... normal movements in her belly and she is is not bloated or anything. She's a little skinny because she was still nursing. Her udder is fine since I took the kid.

#11 ·
OK, temp is 102.6. She has a bit of a runny nose but more like she sneezed and it dried on her nose. I gave her probios, and vit-b shot (out of the gel kind). And I'm in the process of doing her fecal (the mixture is doing its thing). I gave her some feed and black oil sunflower seeds. She ate fine but wouldn't drink the bucket of fresh cold water I got for her.

#12 · (Edited)
OK, temp is 102.6. She has a bit of a runny nose but more like she sneezed and it dried on her nose. I gave her probios, and vit-b shot (out of the gel kind). And I'm in the process of doing her fecal (the mixture is doing its thing). I gave her some feed and black oil sunflower seeds. She ate fine but wouldn't drink the bucket of fresh cold water I got for her.
That sounds promising........has she drank today?

How much Vitamin B complex did you give her?

#13 ·
I haven't seen her drink today but she's been laying close to the water trough. And I gave her 3/4ml. As for the fecal...all I found was a few roundworm eggs (thread necked). I got her up on the milk stand and gave her a good thorough check. Hooves, eyes, udder, belly movement, balance, etc... I'm at a loss here... soon as I got done she went straight back to laying down.

#18 ·
She passed away this morning. I got up to go check on her and she was close to the end. So I just held her till she was gone. Thanks for everyone's help. If I had known this is how she would've reacted, I would have kept her baby or never bred her in the first place. She was a very devoted momma! Her mother and sister are excellent mothers also. I just couldn't find anything wrong with her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.