Depressed preggy doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Feb 8, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since Tilly's had her cha-cha stitched because of the prolapse, she's not been "Tilly". She's eating fine but just seems to be "blah". She is stalled next to Bootsie so she's not isolated and she doesn't have the "want to" when it comes to getting outside. I did feel kid movement today but she still has a lot of pressure which I can tell by her posture, What can I do For her?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Could you maybe give her a B shot and some nutri drench to give her a little energy?

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    And I believe in calcium for preggos- a lack of calcium causes muscle weakness and a reluctance to move. I wonder if it could contribute to the prolapse too by allowing too much relaxation in the muscles.
    Anyway because the vet told me that Tim was too fat I have not be socking the alfalfa to her like I normally would- she gets some alfalfa pellets twice a day covered with a small handful of whole oats and crushed tums. Plus grass hay. That made a real change in her activity level- she went from couch potato to slug. lol She has never been active while preggo. And normally not a big eater (how did she get so fat? she also is cleaning up each feeding because the tums are sweet tasting.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She got out with the girls for a bit today before the rain hit, she did get a few squirts of nutri-drench last nite and my girls get 2 tums a day so the calcium shouldn't be an issue. I hope I can cut that knot this coming weekend. Vet did say I can snip it in 10 days or leave it til her due date of the 24th. She's still straining so maybe I should just wait. She seemed better today but maybe I'll still get her some vit B.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Can't hurt with B and calcium. I know your goats are smaller but I'm giving Tim 8 Tums a day- that's why I throw in the whole oats to help with the phosphorus balance- that and the grass hay.
    I think Tim weighs about 200#s- so maybe that's not too much- she's probably 4 mini's anyway-lol- She majestically sways back and forth when she walks-

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow! 200lbs! Tilly , even preggy goes 65lbs! She's still really favoring her right hip though, is eating and is just not herself.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I'm sorry Liz, hopefully she will be her old self again soon.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have heard of kids pressing on nerves and causing rear end lameness in late pregnancy so maybe she just feels the load. If I remember right she doesn't have much time to go.
    The reason that I ended up giving that many tums to Tim was that the calcium drench that I have had a mg amount of calcium per dose so I matched that with the Tums. If I slack off with the calcium at all she starts having difficulty walking -like she is dragging her back legs. Strangely enough, she doesn't seem to have problems after kidding even though she was nursing trips last time.
    I hope she doesn't have any more problems- sounds li9ke you do keep a close eye on her.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    maybe she is embarassed that you "stitched her up" :shrug:

I would give some B Complex as that usually is a good stimulant.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :p Thats funny Stacey! She is doing better and vet did let me know that I can for sure snip that stitch in another 10 days. She's on a round of penicillan per his order and told me I can use a warm compress under her tail if she'll let me, which is funny because after he stuck her she won't let me near her rear end..lol...can't blame her!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldn't think she would want you anywhere near her rear for quite some time!

10 more days - that ain't bad