Describe a moonspot for me plz

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jan 2, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What does a moonspot look like?

Is it a particular color or shape?

2. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    moon spot is a non- white spot, that is a different color than the background or main color of the goat. That's my understanding anywho! :whatgoat:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you, does it have to be a "circle"?

I question this because a friend has a buckling that is black with random white and he has a rusty chocolate colored irregular spot on the top of his butt , can this be called a moonspot? This is the only area found that has the "odd" color.

4. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Sounds like a moonspot to me, they don't have to be round. :dance:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great....my friend will be pleased to know that she has a polled. moonspotted buckling :greengrin:

Thank you :hug:

6. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I agree. Moon spots are any color but white and are a different color then the main color of the goat. I have a buckskin who I think has a moon spot because she has a darker brown spot on one her shoulders. Shape doesn't matter and they vary in size. Sounds like your friend has quite a nice combo!!

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Here is a black and white doeling who has chocolate moonspots...

More pics here...
    http://sweetgumminis.com/x-marks_the_spot.html

Best way I can describe them is a spot that is generally round or roundish, can be pin small to half the body or more big. Colors vary all across the coat color rainbow. On black goats they stand out more because of the dulled base. So chocolate nad silver spots stand out a lot. Its harder to see on white goats or goats with excessive white on their body because they can seem like just the normal color of the goat showing under the white markings.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very pretty doe Ashley, the spot on this boy is about the same color as the spots she has...though his spot is about the size of a quarter.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    this has me wondering because Ashley and I have discussed the possibility that my buck "Dude" has a moonspot on his face. But none of his parents have moonspots.

its so teeny tiny but is noticeable because his markings are so distinct it looks out of place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Stacey - I see the spot and agree it's possible. :ponder: Any kids with moonspots out of him?

BTW the new smiles are so much fun! :thumb:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no he is a 2009 kid :wink:

but he is bred to my doe angie and to Sweet Pea and to some other does

12. Moonspots are mostly round but not always. They can be anything from a light cream to a dark brown, but they are not white or black. They are superimposed, or a color on a color, over any other color but white. They can show up anywhere with no true real pattern. They are almost always dark in color in new kids, they get lighter over time. Because of this, they are not always seen until adulthood.

Here is a link that gives more info.
    http://www.goatspots.com/moonspots.htm

You can also find this on my site info.

13. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I want some moonspots.

:lovey:

14. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Those are some good looking goats in the that link. Some of the ears just need to be longer :p

Evan

15. Yes they are Myotonics and they have shorter ears. LOL

16. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    They're gorgeous :lovey: But I'd be so afraid to own a fainting goat. I'd have a heart attack thinking I killed it every time it dropped. lol

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Can Alpines have moonspots? Or is that a no no? :book: I know they can't have blue eyes, but I really wish they could.