Detecting heat

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Tgmcr, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    While I’m not necessarily new to goats, I am to breeding, and this is my first year getting into it.
    I purchased 2 does in March (one of which was pregnant and has since delivered 3 kids). I actually reached out to the person who I bought one of my girls from and planned on bringing both of them there for driveway breedings.
    My issue is that I have never really seen them come into heat. I’m sure they have and I just haven’t noticed because I’m newer to owning does, but I’ve never seen any super obvious signs.
    I have 3 wethers and I’ve always heard that when a doe is in heat the wethers will let you know, but my boys have never been overly Interested in the girls at all.
    This afternoon one of the girls is wagging her tail a decent amount and is definitely more talkative than normal but the boys could care less so I’m not sure that she’s really in heat...it’s also raining out today so she could just be telling me she’s mad about it lol.
    I obviously don’t want to bring them to the breeders only to find out they aren’t in heat, but I also don’t want to keep missing heat cycles! Should I assume that the boys will let me know when they are in heat? Or is that not always the case?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't count on wethers. See if the person who has a buck will give you a buck rag. The girls need the smell of the buck to show they are in heat better.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also,consider only breeding 1x per year. Breeding more often is really hard on your doe. But if she kidded in spring, and you plan on breeding for next spring that works fine. A buck rag can be helpful, but also watch your does vulva - being swollen or a creamy white discharge. Also, does will flag and mount other does.

4. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    I'll make sure to ask about a buck rag! and my one doe kidded in late spring, I am breeding her for spring kids again :) she was bred slightly late in the season last year and she definitely had a hard time being VERY pregnant in the hot and humid weather. I am aiming to try and have her deliver just a little earlier so we don't have to deal with the heat.

5. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Yeah, defiantly can't count on wethers to tell you. Usually they are less interested then my other does, lol. Wagging, yelling, mounting other does, blubbering, beating up other does or letting other does beat them up, white goop on and around tail, lower milk (if milking), daydreaming lol, are all signs of a goat being in heat. Which can be hard to see if a buck isn't around. As mentioned, I'd see if you could get a buck rag. Ask to visit someones goat farm and rub a few on their bucks. Won't take long to get a rag stinky. Get a few that way you have extra when the first one starts to lose it's smell.

Also mark your calendar when you see or think you see a heat. Does are pretty consistent in coming to heat around 20 days. Then if you can find their pattern you can judge when she is coming into heat better.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Cinnamon101

Cinnamon101 New Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Ohio
    I would use a buck rag as well to detect there heat. It is very possible could be in heat, so I would suggest that you get and show her the buck rag asap. If she then trys to get in the bag or jar and wags her tail super fast, its time for action.