determining a breed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Graffogefarms, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Just wondering here, we got Chocolate last year - and nobody knew she was preggers, she was weird looking and the guy we bought her off, said that there had been no buck with her while she was with him, anyway - last April, May - not sure she surprised us with a little golden doe, Goldie, well here we are 8 months down the road, Choc is dried up - and Goldie is not as big as I think she could be, I thought first - GGs, and as we are unsure of the parentage of choc, or who is Goldies dad, was wondering - if Goldie is somehow dwarf, or pygmy, she is a pale goldish white now, with pale gold legs, but again - she doesnt have the size of a reg dairy. Anything I could look for to determine if she actually has Nigerian Dwarf in her? My plan is that I will breed her to a pygmy this fall or early next year, as she grows, but my son pointed out that she might be a little bigger than a pygmy, wont really know till she is actually side by side with one.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a picture of her would really help if that is something you can provide.

pygmies come in a variety of sizes. Here in the US they were bred to be really small and now some people are regretting it.

If your Goldie is built like a pygmy but larger it could be that she is more like the original pygmies that were bigger.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    So Choc is standard sized and Goldy is small? I would think being bred to a Pygmy or Nigerian buck would be fine so long as she's the size of a mature Nigerian doe.

4. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    photo bucket

[​IMG]

Choc is looking at my daughter and Goldie is beside Choc, their faces are away from camera, but Goldie has not grown since pic was taken last fall. Choc looks like she has a mane - but her winter coat came in since.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah she is some mini breed - more then likely nigerian from the looks of her build. Pretty little thing!

6. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Chocolate looks to be an Alpine\Toggenburg type cross, and from the looks of her baby, she may have been bred back to a Nigerian.