Determining age of a goat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We were given a older doe 2 weeks ago, with no back history at all on her, they do not even know what kinda of goat she is. I am thinking maybe ND or ND/Pygmy cross?

What I was wondering is there any way to figure out about how old she is? We do know that she had never kidded. For one if she is to old I would not want to breed her, she will just go into retirement and second I want to watch her health.

Petunia:

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can tell up to 5 years with their front teeth. But past that I think you can only really tell by the wearing of the teeth. A vet would be better at determining this I am sure

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep you can get their age from the teeth BUT it is not always right. I have seen three year old's with milk teeth, and I have seen 1 year old does with 6 full teeth. Years ago, we use to put our goats in a class according to their teeth, that is when they realized there was really no way and it was not fair. I had to have my 5 month old buck (milk Tooth) go against a three year old buck (he also was a milk tooth). I have seen it a lot more often then you would think.

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Whatever her breed, your Petunia is a pretty girl. Maybe with more time and observation you can pick up on certain behaviors and physical signs that might give you a better indication of her age.

I'm in the same boat X 2. Two does straight off the reservation with no background information and in one all but the 3 left eye teeth are broke or worn down to the gums. Yet her gums are healthy and she doesn't look aged to me. It is of course possible her dental condtion is from trauma, not wear.

What I have noticed is that that doe does not jump up on and mount cable spools and other goat climbing toys that the other does do, albeit she's still agile, active and very playful - an indication of older age???

A friend who's rescued a # of goats of various breeds told me she can usually determine approximate age by lightened or graying of facial hair especially around their eyes. My does in question are solid white (Navajo Angoras) so that tip doesn't really apply to them. :shrug:

Deb Mc

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    She is a friendly girl, when she gets to know you. Her previous owner used her as a scrub goat, you should have seen her the first day when I gave her some grain.

She is finally putting some weight on that back leg, she was lame for over a week on it, could find nothing wrong but a sore on the bottom of her hoof.

I will check her teeth and see what I can determine that way if not I will just watch her behavior and see.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    What a great site, I have save it in my favorites under animal info.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Looking at her horns, she looks to be under 5 years....without a front view and a closer pic I can't tell for sure. A does horns will grow throughout their life, it's the wear on them that I look at....Her horns are the size of my 3 year olds.

She is a pretty girl, looks like a lot of nigi in her but could also have pygmy too... not all my crosses look like their parents in build.

9. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    As she seems to be walking better on that leg, and if the weather permits I am going to get better pictures of her tomorrow.

I think she is lovely. Liz, so you need a front view of her horns?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you can get a good one of her facing you without spooking her, I might be able to see the wear. The does I have here have been with me from birth or shortly after so I know exactly how old they are and I have noticed that with age, comes wear. My oldest will be 10 years and the front of her horns are totally flat, the 2 year olds are just showing some scarring and my 3 year old has the scarring extending into a flatter wear. Goats will rub their horns on anything available, the older they are, the longer they have done it.

With Petunia's coloring and build...it;s too bad that I wethered Teddy last week! If you were closer I bet they would have made some very pretty babies.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks... :thumbup: :greengrin: