DEVASTATED....Our only surviving kid died today!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Tog Lovers, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    And we are now really upset and confused. The first 2 that died suddenly we had autopsied at Penn State and all they found was that their iron level was 5 times what it should be and their vit E was almost six times what it should be. The first 2 died within 36 hours of opening a new bag of Save-a-Kid replacer. The manufacturer told us to have them autopsied at their expense and to send them a sample of the replacer. We have not heard back from them and are unable to get thru to anyone there who knows anything.

Each of these kids was fine no more than 7 hrs before they were dead. They all looked bloated when we found them but the vet thinks that was just gas from after they died. There poop was fine. 1 had a little bit of pasty stool but nothing runny, watery or bloody. This last 1 was fine at 6 AM this morning. Running and jumping around, perky and alert. Just being his normal lovable self. When Rich got home at 4PM he was laying there dead.

Our vet is as stumped as we are. He is also as new to this as we are. (He just got his license a yr ago). If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let us know.

Right now I'm not even sure if I want to keep doing this. My heart is shattered in a million little pieces.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my gosh - I am soooo sorry. Was the third kid on the replacer also? If so, did he get some this morning?

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    The 3 rd kid was getting the same brand but from a different batch made quite a few weeks after the first one. It was even a different size package which means it was from a different production line at the very least. We have used this replacer for other goats and have never had a problem.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that happened.

I wish that there was something that I could do. :hug:

5. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    :tears: I'm so, so sorry for you, my heart goes out to you! :hug: :grouphug:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug:

weird though, my alpine/kiko "huzzah" was on sav-a-kid, acting fine, jumping and eating well, less than 3 hours later she just fell over. :sigh:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I don't know anything about sav-a-kid ---- is it marketed for long term use or for goats?

8. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Save-A-Kid is a milk replacer that is supposed to be formulated for goat kids. We have used it to feed bottle babies in the past with no problems but this year has been like a nightmare. We bought a pasteurizer to use next year.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Again, I am so sorry.... hopefully you can find out exactly what happened and can find resolution. :hug:

10. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Did these kids get bose shots when they were born? If so- what was the dosage?

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, gosh I am so sorry! I hope it is figured out soon. . . How many have you lost?

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats horrible..
    Right now I'm using Purina Mills Kid milk replacer, one part replacer to 2 parts whole vit D cow milk, and I've heard others do this with other replacers.. you might want to look into that?
    I wonder if mixing it with normal milk changes something in replacers?

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry! :hug:

With the necropsies on the other 2 showing the elevated iron and E levels is puzzling, I don't know the effects of too much, though I do know that too little can be detrimental.

The pastuerizer is a good idea, so please don't give up....you will have better luck next year and if you do give up you won't know for sure what caused your losses.
    Hopefully your does will give you doelings and abundant udders next time. You can even start looking for another doe to add to your herd, it may be the bloodlines(congenital/hereditary) of your current does.

All this is just speculation, but given the chance to prove something(as far as the replacer goes) I would do it, it may save someone elses kids.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine had a bose shot at birth...i wasnt there for it..i bought her.

15. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That really really sucks! :hug:

I hope you find the answer to what happened.

16. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    They did get a BOSE shot the day after they were born. The vet gave it so I'm sure it was right. (He did his internship on a goat farm).

We are weighing our options: A) Replace our does with ones that are from clean tested herds. (this will expensive)
    B) Breed these same goats next year and pasteurize their milk.
    C) Just keep the ones we have as pets and not breed again.
    D) Get out of goats and find something else we can do together.

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I vote for A or B..
    Don't give up!

:hug:

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Dorothy :hug: you have quite a few months to make a decision, see how it goes next year with the pastuerizer and IF the same horrible thing happens then you will know for sure it is your current does. And if it works out, you'll have some xtra$ to get a clean tested doe.

This wound in your heart is too raw for you to make a decision now, give it some time, I know how it hurts and I am so sorry :hug:

19. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I'm with Liz, give your heart time to heal. I am so sorry. How devistating!

I would be hounding the makers of Save-A-Kid for the results! I wouldn't give up on that angle because even with a totaly differnt batch there could be problems with ingredients and if that kid got milk from the previous batch at all it could have caused his death just like the others.

As to your does - are they CAE positive? have you had them tested? It sounds like you were using the replacer because you didnt want to feed them their mom's milk - and you said something about buying from clean herds. Just want to make sure I have it straight.