Dewlap?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 1, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    because my goats enjoy keeping me busy :hair: lol!!

Rose has developed and flabby dewlap at her throatlatch.
    it looks like flabby skin, feels like it too.

but it developed overnight.. ugh! could this be bottle jaw? It's not that swollen. She's was last dewormed on 6/10/2010 with Ivomec

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    developing it overnight is very concerning. Is it very soft? If so it's edema and most likely bottle jaw. Are her lids pale? I'd deworm her with something else. Doing a fecal is best, but I know that can't always be done.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that's what I thought.
    It's soft, feels like extra skin.
    Her lids aren't pale, they'd score a 'maybe' on the FAMANCHA

Had the same thing happen earlier this year, and wormed with ivomec and the swelling (which was noticeable on this doe) went away within 24hours.

I'll worm her tomorrow in the light.
    thanks

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    You might want to consider herbal dewormer....I have used it for 2 years and everybody gets it once a week. I mix it with molasses to make a dough make it into a thick (1 1/2) pancake and wrap it in plastic and keep it in the frig. I cut off hunks when I worm them and goats, mini donkeys, llamas all get a ball that is sized for them. It is an easy way to get them to take it. I have not used Ivermec in 2 years and they are doing great. BTW I do my own fecals so I know what is going on. I must say this is the best thing i have done for my animals. No one has been sick in 2 years.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... if it appeared over night.... then I would deworm her.... :hug: