Dewormer for lactating does

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bbredmom, Nov 3, 2008.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ok, well Rosie has popped, and its time to deworm her! I am letting her feed to baby, and want to worm her with something safe for both.

I have valbazen, and it is time for valbazen in the rotation, but this website http://www.drugs.com/vet/valbazen-suspension.html says not to give it to lactating does. I have access to safeguard and ivermectin, both of which are still effective here.

Thanks!

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    The ivermectin is just fine to use.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, Ivermectin. :)

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I use Ivomectin Plus - and I inject it rather then orally. I like to make sure exactly how much they are getting. I give it in the milkstand while they eat grain and have no issues with it. I do rub it out real well prior to letting them down.

5. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    What does rubbing it out mean? Like, where you give the shot, you rub it so they dont get a bump?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Correct - it just helps to disipate the medication in to the SQ tissues to not cause a bump.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We use Ivermectin but give it orally - if I can avoid needles at all, I will! The way we make sure they get it all is to take the syringe (no needle) and stick it in the side of the mouth towards the back molars and squirt it right in. It's usually a small amount (dosage we use is 1cc per 50 lbs. works for us). Never had a problem with them spitting it out. I'm sure it tastes nasty so we give 'em a little treat after.

Another great herbal wormer (safe for pregnant, lactating, whatever) is the one sold by Fir Meadow Herbals. We top-dress the grain. http://firmeadow.com/

We also deworm again 21 days after the first dose. We went to a seminar where we were instructed to do this as 21 days later worm eggs hatch. This was at a "goat seminar" held by the makers of Safeguard.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I just went to a goat seminar at the Langston University Goat Research Center, and the vet there said it was best to give the wormer's orally rather than injected. Something about the injection stays in their system for so long and isn't effective as quickly.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Sweet! I love when I can give something orally. . . . :) But in the case of sixshooter, it was best she do it by injection so it didn't kill all the parasites at once? Did I get that right? :shrug:

10. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Well, everybody got ivermectin last night, orally, at 1cc per 50 pounds. And then they all got a Graham Cracker. And I got trampled!

I shall repeat in 10 days.

The best one of the bunch was rosie and my new Buck, Btuch Cassidy. I was very pleased.

Thanks for all the help!

11. funnyriver

funnyriver New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Question: is it the same ivermectin that horses get?