Dewormer Master Thread

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Jul 21, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hello all!

I always find myself or others searching around the forum trying to figure out the best dewormers for certain situations and more overall dewormer info. I thought, IF OK WITH ADMIN, we could make a master thread of dewormer info (chemical dewormers only as there are other threads for natural dewormers) and continue to update it as new info comes out as well!

What I suggest we post here:
    Common dewormers and their dosages
    Uses for each dewormer (which dewormer treats what. For example, best dewormer for barberpole, and if that fails, what is the second and third choice of dewormer)
    Common dewormer classes to combine/what they will treat (even I would love some more info on this!)

And much more!!

Any dewormer class combination charts or info, dosage info, info on what works for you and what hasn't - that would be good to go on!

Tagging some people to help start us off!

@toth boer goats I'm sure you have some contributions, would love your CoRid dosing directions on here, @ksalvagno always love your info, @SalteyLove I'm hoping you have some info to share on combo dewormers, @goathiker your knowledge would also be much appreciated, @happybleats, @mariarose, and SO many more I would love ALL of your thoughts and opinions!!

I'll also start us off with a question - what works best in your herd for Barberpole worm?

DJC, CaramelKittey, Kass and 3 others like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Cocci treatment:

Corid:

Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
    Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water....
    Shake well before use.
    Give as follows...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    treat individually for 5 days

Corid 20% Powdered mixture: 3 ounces(10.5 tblspns) to 1 quart water
    Mix solution well. Shake well before use.
    then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    and so on
    treat individually for 5 days

Do not give anything with thiamine in it, such as fortified vit B complex, it stops corid from working properly.

Do know:
    The way Corid works is, it mimics thiamine, so the cocci go and attack it, then die off.
    It does not rob thiamine from the goat.

I do recommend though, if a goat is super down to start, try another cocci treatment method.

3. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    This is super helpful! Im hoping people post more dosages... Depending on the results from the fecal, I may be dealing with lungworm...

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    This will be very helpful for many if they find themselves in the situation I was in march-may.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes, let’s try and get the ball rolling even more - literally any dewormer dosages and uses, post em!!

CaramelKittey and Kass like this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Here - dosage for ivermectin/Ivomec injectable - 1cc per 40lb subq, for mites or anemic goats, 1cc per 33lb oral for internal parasites when NOT anemic!

7. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

This thread is a great idea

It might be nice to include if the medications are safe for pregnant does, does in milk, and the withdraw period if necessary. ;)

Goataddict, Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  8. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Great idea. :)

Are you sure you want to keep it chemical only? I mean if somebody's looking for the natural wormer dosages, wouldn't it still be helpful if it was over here too even if it is redundant? Just my :2c:. I could be wrong.

CaramelKittey, Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  9. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Are those one-time doses or do you repeat in x days?

CaramelKittey likes this.
  10. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Can you give anemic goats Ivermectin orally after you’ve already given them the shot? I want to give orally just to kill off any hatching eggs. Or should I give them iron until they aren’t anemic anymore, and then give them the dose of oral Ivermectin? Also can any supplement of iron work or does red cell work only? Like maybe some iron pills?

Also can I be giving them there herbal dewormer after I’ve used chemical dewormers?

CaramelKittey, Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes, you can booster orally. The first shot should have lowered the numbers to be safe.

Yes you can give herbal after the chemical dewormers

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    We have some great herbal threads on here - but the thing is, herbals are well-rounded, one formula, maybe one EO regimen, and that’s it for all worms. Chemical dewormers have so many variations etc.

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Understand the different family's of dewormers. If one in a family stops working, others will quickly follow.

Quest horse dewormer
    1 cc per 100# dosed careful. Does not have a large safety margin.
    Assuming you don't have a resistance to Cydectin ..Good to kick BP butt.
    The strongest of all Cydectin medication. We should be careful dosing. Toxicity level can come quickly. Stays in the system 21 days! Do not booster in 10 days. If booster is needed use another dewormer.
    This would not be my go to for heavy worm load rather start with a gentler dewormer such as Valbazen (1 cc per 10#) then booster with Quest in 10 days. Then valbazen again in 10 days if needed.

I hear some dosing larger doses and more frequent. This can built up to toxicity levels. Just because farmer so and so does it and never had an issue does not make it a good idea. Your goat may not handle those levels. 1 cc per 100# is proven effective. If its not working..switch dewormers. My :2c:

CaramelKittey and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Great info!

IMO, first choice for barberpole treatment is ivermectin, IF it’s still working. If not, then usually cydectin works quite well. Once ivermectin and cydectin are a bust I usually think it’s time to bring in combo dewormers.

Can someone(or multiple people) care to list some common combo wormers for barberpole?

Quest + Valbazen we got. Thanks Cathy!!

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can someone confirm if this is a good list of the classes:

IMG_8335.jpg

16. K Brooke

K Brooke Active Member

May 9, 2018
    882153C9-DD23-4FDF-AE97-86D9F4AC9569.jpeg
    This is the chart I use when deworming. It is super helpful for me. There is another page that goes into detail of the rest of the dewormers but I can’t seem to find it. In my area we have a huge barber pole problem and I have to use Cydectin and Prohibit.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I think that is pretty accurate..it doesn't however list LongRange which is in the Ivomec family.

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Some charts include a 4th family with Praziquantel and clorsulon in that family. From what I understand Clorsulon only addresses liver fluke and Praziquantel only addresses tape worm. Neither of these should be used as a stand alone broad dewormer.

19. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    IMG_4174.jpg

What does everyone think of this chart? Is it accurate?

20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes!