Dewormer of choice?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I dewormed my two girls that had FEC's over 2000 on 9/3 and 9/6..... they had a repeat on 9/14 and 9/15 respectively. Dewormer was cattle injectable ivomec at 1cc/40lbs orally, and safeguard 1cc/10 lbs ... safeguard for 3 days, ivomec just on the first day.

It's now 10 and 9 days after the second deworming and the FEC is still really high... one dropped to 1500 but the other is at 4500. The one with the 4500 score has a really good FAMACHA (2), and the one with the 1500 FEC has a score of about 3.... maybe a 4.

Obviously it doesn't seem like my combination dewormer is very effective... and I know that safeguard is basically worthless, but that combination HAS worked for me for two years now. My vet swears by the cattle pour on given orally at 3ml/50 lbs, but I know that it's pretty frowned upon by us goat parents.

My whole plan was to deworm this round, get a baseline FEC and then start the @NigerianDwarfOwner707 essential oil and garlic regimen going forward, so I was pretty disappointed by the fecal scores. I did go ahead and give a really high dose of garlic cloves to each girl (3-4 each) and the essential oil combination (clove,lemongrass,wild orange and oregano in olive oil) to each of them this evening... and some red cell/b compex to the girl looking a bit anemic. I plan to follow that for the next two days and take another fecal this weekend to make sure it's still looking pretty bleak, before doing any chemical dewormers.

Assuming I don't see any improvement... What are your favorite combination dewormers (chemical)? Any suggestions in my situation? I'd love for the natural path to make a difference quickly because I JUST finished with my milk discard period! I hate to even consider doing it again for another 14 days.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Oh another comment : They had bolus at the end of June , so it's about time where I am... Planned on doing that this weekend too =)

MadHouse likes this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If they aren’t pregnant cydectin + valbazen is good or quest plus horse gel.

As for the natural regimen, it’s hard to really achieve good fecals without the herbs, it’s sort of all or nothing - but keep giving the garlic daily, and give the oils once daily for the next 3 days.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Do you use the quest alone ?

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes, it’s quite strong.

Don’t use in young kids or extremely weak goats.

1cc per 100lbs - can be overdosed and kill a goat be careful!!

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    if you use Cydectin, make sure its sheep drench, not the purple cattle pour on.
    Quest has the strongest meds in it out of all Moxidectin de wormers. Quest is 1 cc per 100 pounds dosed once, not to be booster sooner than 21 days. HOWEVER, if you want to keep it natural I would order Land of Havilah parasite formula. That along with the ess. oil blends can get your goats clean. I have used this for 4-5 years now and I am pleased with the results and continued health of my goats.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  8. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    In your
    In your opinion if I ordered the herbs and start within a week , or as soon as they arrive , do you think a chemical dewormer is necessary to get the numbers down and start "fresh"? Or do you think that with the herbs and the oils it can be managed naturally ? Neither have acute issues right now , so I'm not really WORRIED. I just want to tackle it in the imminent future

9. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Cool... Just ordered it, hopefully it arrives soon. I'll keep up the supportive therapy and EOs in the meantime. For these cases , do you recommend the 3x a day for 6 days to start ?

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.
  10. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    (
    Clarification : for the herbals :) not the oils.

happybleats likes this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    3 times a day for 6 days sounds like a good kick start. Its also good nutrients..so bonus.

In the mean time..tummy tamer can help get things started..1-2 times a day
    1 teaspoon each
    Cayenne pepper
    Ginger
    Cinnamon
    Slippery elm
    ACV and molasses in enough water to drench..usually 20-30 cc.

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The herbs and oils killed it here when chemical treatment couldn't. I think being dedicated to get started and keep up weekly doses, you will see improvements. I do 2 times a week when conditions are ripe for worm load..like wet humid hot temps of Texas summer. Colder temps we do once a week. And I always include wild orange eo once a week.

13. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    That sounds great. I'm excited to see if this shows improvement!

After the initial 6 days of herbals I'll do a fecal to see where we stand... and in the meantime, cross my fingers that I don't have to use a chemical.

Iluvlilly! and happybleats like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I personally am not opposed to a double dose every 3 hours for the first day or two, then 3x a day for at least a week.

I give my herbs sometimes every other day, and sometimes my oils 3 days on 4 days off instead of once a week. Diligence is needed.

Iluvlilly! and happybleats like this.
  15. -WBoergoats

-WBoergoats New Member

May 19, 2020
    Utah
    I saw something on YouTube that said they feed there goats cedar tree branches as a natural wormer. Don’t know if it works but just saw it. Maybe somebody else would know about it ‍:)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Cedar is helpful as is Pine but should not be relied on on its own. Same with pumpkin seed. ;)

17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I'm actually enthralled by pumpkin seeds, they have done such a wonderful job over here.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes they are very helpful..just would not trust as a stand alone dewormer source.

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I don't even trust herbs as a stand alone. ;)

20. laura1016

laura1016 New Member

Feb 25, 2018