Dewormers...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, Nov 22, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm sure this topic has been brought up a hundred times,,,,but... What dewormers do you like the best...what works the best? How much do you give?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We use an herbal wormer from Fir Meadow, http://www.firmeadow.com/

We have been using it for a couple months now and we've seen great results. We use the formula with wormwood and black walnut in it. We give about a tablespoon to adults and 1 1/2 teaspoons to the kids.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oops...forgot to ad...it's for nigerians and pygmies. Thanks goathappy for the suggestion!

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I like Ivomec or Ivomec plus @ 1ml/50lb orally.

If tape worms are a problem EQUIMAX works really well @ 3x the horse dose by weight.

I don't know if it's true for all dewormers, but If you use either of these, be sure to repeat the dose 10-14 days after the initial one to kill any residual worms/eggs.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I alternate w/ Safeguard and Invermectin with the goats and haven't had any problems. I know a lot of people say that Safeguard is ineffective but it works well here.

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Cydectin Cattle pour on, 1 cc per 22 pounds given orally, is what we use here.

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Here is what I use:

Cydectin Cattle Pour on-1 cc per 20lbs
    Equimax-3x horse dosage
    Quest and Quest Plus-3x horse dosage
    Ivomec paste-3x horse dosage

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We like the herbal wormer from Fir Meadow but I also have Valbazen, Safeguard, and Ivomec on hand just in case.

Safeguard for goats - dosing on bottle.
    Ivomec - 1cc per 50 lbs. orally
    Valbazen - 1cc per 25 lbs. What is the dosage you guys use for Valbazen? I have read so many different things, I'm confused. We only really use the Valbazen on young kids before leaving for their new homes. . . .

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    My worming regiment resembles alot of what others use...

Safeguard liquid for goats - dosing on bottle, I believe offhand it is like 1 ml per 50 lbs.
    Ivomec - 1ml per 50 lbs. orally, but I do know many give this at 1 ml per 35 lbs. I have not had to lower my dosage yet as it is working fine at 1 ml per 50lbs for me.
    Valbazen - 1ml per 25 lbs. is what I use. But I never use this on pregnant does.

I do retreat 10 days prior to first treatment.

If I could find a reliable "Natural" dewormer that really works, I would switch over. But to date nothing seems to work other than chemicals living down south here where it is warm and wet. I have tried several and so far with no such luck. So to keep my goats worm free I must stick with the three I mentioned above. They are still working for me. :thumbup: