The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed before or comes across as being a stupid question. So I have read a lot that this product or that one is useless here due to over use. So I am assuming that resistance to a particular product will very based on regions? Also how does a product become over used? For the most part we have to deworm a few of ours during our wet season. We have Mr Bacon whom is 7 years old and has been dewormed twice. Is it possible to build resistance when you only deworm as needed?

thanks

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,676 Posts
So I am assuming that resistance to a particular product will very based on regions?
Yes. It greatly varies even in when you are talking about extremely local areas.

Also how does a product become over used?
Worms become resistant to dewormers by improper use of the dewormers. For years people thought that it was okay to deworm goats on a schedule and to even rotate dewormers. Now we understand that one dewormer should be used until it stops working and that they should be used in order of weakest to strongest. So for example don't just jump into using Prohibit because when/if that stops working, something weaker like ivermectin won't work either.

Is it possible to build resistance when you only deworm as needed?
It certainly is possible, but with proper management it may never happen or it may only happen far into the distance.

Only deworm animals that need it when they need it. When you do deworm a goat, leave it on the pasture it is on so that the goat can repick up eggs that were affected by the dewormer and so that they aren't contaminating the clean pasture. Employ pasture rotation. Breed for parasite resistance. All these things should help with dewormer resistance.

·
Super Moderator
59,953 Posts
I can be regional but it is also per individual farm. As stated above, it depends on how each individual farm uses wormer. I live in an area where Safeguard is pretty useless but it still works for me because I have been very careful on the frequency that I have used it over the years. I have also been very careful on correctly dosing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts