Deworming Dairy!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 15, 2011.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    My Alpine really needs to be dewormed, I literally...forgot, as usually I do it after they kid. I'm bottlefeeding the kids so i can use the extra milk during withdrawl period.

Which dewormer do you suggest? I have Ivomec on hand, whats the withdrawl time (33lbs- 1cc orally) for milk? My label is pretty much destroyed.

big learning curve with dairy.

2. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I use Valbaizen, 1 cc per 10lbs every 10 days IF they have worms, if not, I do it 1 cc per 20lb about every 3 months in my location. Ivomec is fine, but I am not sure about dosages, as I don't use it(was recommended Valbaizen for my area).

If I remember correctly, you should not drink the milk of a goat for at LEAST 3 days after giving it medication.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I think Fias co farm recommends a 4 day withdraw time for ivomec

4. wookiee

wookiee New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I use 10 days for withdrawal for Valbazen. I hope that helps.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so you all are using valbazen? hows the results. I know it works good on my boers. 5 days withdrawl according to Fias co.

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    If kept up, Valbaizen does wonders!I had a goat that ended up with bottle jaw and um... tapeworms, after 30days they were gone (3 doses).

The thing is though, worms get immune to this stuff, so you don't wanna use it THAT often. I worm every new goat that comes here, and everyone about every 4 months or so.

If you know they have worms though, they need to be treated every 10 days with a heavier does for about 30 days or until you notice they are gone, because of the eggs that hatch every few days, need to kill the babies too. They will need extra iron too, because they tend to get anemic with the worming meds and the infestation.

The only worm issue I had was that ONE goat. And I think her genetics were just susceptible to issues. She ended up dying, she was doing SOOO well, but the herd kicked her out of the barn, and with her trying to get ver anemia (which she was improving) the freezing temps just killed her :/

7. wookiee

wookiee New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Valbazen works great, but like above, I worry about resistance. So I use it as my "big guns" and I follow the 10 day later repeat protocol to really kill them.

I only use Valbazen once a year or so if required, but if ivermectin and others aren't working, I hit them where it hurts! :shades:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay.
    well I gave her 10cc of Valbazen.. so here's to waiting! :)