Deworming Goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tyler, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I have a goat that has serious worms. I'd like to keep my farming organic, so I do really want to use the conventional dewormer. Is there any organic way to do it?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    fias co farms and hoeggers both sell herbal wormers

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I tried the herbals from Fias co Farms and it worked until the weather got hot, humid and wet and I had to turn to chemical methods.......I have just been going through the whole worm issue with 2 of mine......they had very pale eyelids, fecal showed barber pole worms......I had to turn to cydectin.......Ivomec wasn't even working for me.....it has been 3 wks and they are finally coming out of the anemia. I wormed 3x's 10 days apart.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    personally I would only trust a herbal wormer if you are willing to get a fecal before and after using the herbals. YOu want to make sure it is actually working (goes for chemical wormers too but we already know more of their effectiveness).

I dont know how effective herbals are for treating an infestation of worms but I know they can manage pretty good in most cases.

5. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    I'm not trying to be funny or otherwise, but the only way to have your herd as worm free as possible is to cull the problem goats. We live in the worm capitol of the universe and after starting to cull 3 years ago we have started to see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as worms go. We FAMACHA checked last week and had to worm 2 goats out of 105! The only other thing I can reccommend is the copper oxide wire particles boluses. Copper is a natural mineral and can still be considered organic. Go to http://www.scsrcp.org and click on the little arrows next to where it says copper wire particles. Check it out!
    I have the file in my computer, so if you want it then e-mail me.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I too have been looking into copper bolusing mine, just want to be sure there is a need for it up here in the midwest......I know that most do use copper bolusing in Texas as the worm issues down there are much worse.

7. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Yes, we applied the bolus in april and again at the first of the month, with famacha checks once a month during the dries. We wormed only the nannies that had just kidded in May-June, so it works.

8. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Thank you everyone for your immediate answers! I got some help from a friend who has goats also, so with the combined help I'm hoping this will end happy! :)

9. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I just got back in from doing a quick test on my goats (based on the chart at the bottom of this page: http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/IPM.html). Two of the goats scored Ds (one is 140 lbs and the other is 120 lbs). I talked with a friend and she recommended using Ivomec, so I'm heading up to get that. Is there anything more I should do or be concerned about since these goats are in the state they are in?

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If they were mine, I would fecal so you know what kind of worms your dealing with and then you will know what wormer to use......just my opinion...also, maybe some Vitamin B12 since they are proabably a bit anemic and maybe some sort of iron supplement.

11. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Whenever we have had to worm or give any medication, we always give Probios as well. We used to give the paste, but have been using the powder lately.

12. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I stopped in at the vet to get some B12 and Iron, but their goat expert wasn't there, and I didn't know how much I would need. I'm waiting for a call.