The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had my two dwarf goats for over a year. Last summer I wormed them when young with a chemical wormer a couple times since it was the "conventional wisdom", and treated for coccidia. I didn't really know what I was doing (nor did the vet for that matter) so I learned to do my own fecals at home. I have not had to worm my goats for a year now. I have been running fecals every other week, and only a couple few eggs ever show up. As it is late spring, and the goats have been out grazing on pasture for a while now, I am wondering if I am making a mistake not ever worming them. One of my goats seems a little anemic, but then again it is warmer weather now and she might be just adjusting. Her eyelids have always been more pale, but she has been healthy to date. Once again, I only ever find a couple few eggs at most on the slides. No sign of bottle jaw, and she has a good appetite. Should I be concerned about worming her? Does it make sense to go that long without worming goats?

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
When you say she is a little anemic, do you see anyother signs, or just the FAMACHA? A couple of my goats tend to have pale eyelids, even when they have zero worm eggs.
When I first started checking FAMACHAS, I treated my doe, who had a score of 4, for anemia, with Red Cell, Vitamin B complex, AVC/water, high protein foods... and after a week her famacha score had not changed at all. The whole time she was not acting off or weak. So, for her, pale is normal.

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to send in fecals to double check your findings. Meadowmistlabs is only $6 a test. Well worth a second opinion. But yah..if it ain't broke..don't fix it 😉

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,093 Posts
Other than treating cocci and round worms when weanlings, my goats have continually carried very low to zero count on fecal tests. All purchased within the same spring, from 2 different herds and closed to date. I only fecal test Spring and Fall now, though in earlier years, I tested every 3 months. They are slightly over 3 years in age currently. So, give or take a week or two, I haven't had to deworm in 3 years.

They browse much more than graze, their food sources are thickets and understory clean up, 2nd and 3rd cut orchard grass and a small amount of alfalfa pellets for breakfast. (Loose minerals and any additional supplements needed also) They get rotated at the maximum every 3 weeks and the ground gets a rest of at least 3 months before reuse during warm weather months, and total rest for all of the cool weather months. During the nights, rainy days and from approximately Halloween until April, they are housed in a 100' x 100' bare dirt lot which is swept clean of poop and waste hay every day.

My goal from day one has been to beat the worm hatching cycle and the goats exposure through strategic rotation, keeping any grass they might be on long in length, waiting until the dew is dry before turning them out to browse, maintaining good husbandry practices and keeping the goats healthy on the inside to build strong immunities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts