The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had the vet over to pregnancy check my girls(three out of three are pregnant!!!!). While he was here he checked the Famacha of one doe and said she was light and that I should deworm. I told him I had ivermectin sheep drench and safeguard. He said I should treat with safeguard at double the dosage. I asked if I should get a fecal run first and he said no that he would just deworm. Unfortunately, we got caught up in other conversations and he didn’t check my other goats Famachas. Okay so I have some questions.

#1 I thought safeguard wasn’t really effective by itself? In the past I’ve dewormed with both.

#2 Is ivermectin sheep drench safe for pregnant goats?

#3 I’m terrible at the famacha scoring, I feel like all my goats are a 4 even when I know they have low worm load. Because of this I get a fecal done once every three months. I got one done about a month and a half ago and the doe in question had a 200 FEC. She has an excellent body condition but I do think her eyes looked a bit paler than the other goats. Another doe(Brin) that I thought was falling off a little, had a bit darker famacha but like I said they all look light to me always and her FEC was 350 a couple months ago. Should I deworm her as well? Or should I go ahead and get another fecal done on everyone?
#4 What schedule to you all keep for getting regular fecal tests done? I tested everyone right before breeding this time but I guess between breeding and drying off maybe that has stressed them enough for their worm load to increase. Should I wait until after breeding to test them again next year? Then I should test again after kidding right?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Safeguard (fenbendazole) can be effective by itself. It's just that it has been overused so in a lot of places the worms are resistant to it. How often have you used safeguard in the past?

Yes, ivermectin sheep drench is safe for pregnant goats.

I would collect a fecal sample from the goat the vet said to deworm and then go ahead and give her the double dose of safeguard. If the vet won't do a fecal then you can mail it to MeadowMist Lab Service ~ Home. They charge $6 a sample. They are closed for labor day right now though and reopen on the 7th. Then 7-10 days after you deworm her, you can get another fecal done to check and see how effective the dewormer was.

FAMACHA is used to check the level of anemia caused by barber pole worms. It is not always 100% accurate.
If you are worried then I would go ahead and get fecals done on everyone again.

Parasites lay eggs in cycles so it is possible for a goat to have a worm load but clean fecal results. That is one reason why it is a good idea to get fecals done periodically.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep in mind that not every goat has dark pink. Some always have a lighter color but it is normal for them and they are fine. What is important is that you learn what is normal for your goats.
Thank you! That’s kind of what I was wondering. I think I will go ahead and get another fecal just to see and get an idea of when exactly I need to be concerned about her Famacha.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safeguard (fenbendazole) can be effective by itself. It's just that it has been overused so in a lot of places the worms are resistant to it. How often have you used safeguard in the past?

Yes, ivermectin sheep drench is safe for pregnant goats.

I would collect a fecal sample from the goat the vet said to deworm and then go ahead and give her the double dose of safeguard. If the vet won't do a fecal then you can mail it to MeadowMist Lab Service ~ Home. They charge $6 a sample. They are closed for labor day right now though and reopen on the 7th. Then 7-10 days after you deworm her, you can get another fecal done to check and see how effective the dewormer was.

FAMACHA is used to check the level of anemia caused by barber pole worms. It is not always 100% accurate.
If you are worried then I would go ahead and get fecals done on everyone again.

Parasites lay eggs in cycles so it is possible for a goat to have a worm load but clean fecal results. That is one reason why it is a good idea to get fecals done periodically.

View attachment 212311

View attachment 212310
Thank you! That was very helpful. I’ve only used safeguard 3 times on different goats in the past year. I had never used it previously. Once in conjunction with the ivermectin on the doe I’m worried about about, after she had a difficult kidding. Once on a buck I suspected had meningeal worm, and once on another buck who had a high worm load. I think I am going to go ahead and get another fecal done. I know someone who can do it this weekend. I’m sure I’ll learn something from the information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts