Deworming

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by steelcity, May 10, 2018.

1. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    I have 1 boer and 2 Pygmy I just had them tested and came back barber pole works any suggestions on what I should treat them with?

2. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    I’m gonna give a low dose of corid not sure what else I should give

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Only dose corid correctly - low dosing leads to ineffective results. Corid is for coccidia, not barber pole worms. Lots of people on here have used Valbazen 1 cc per 10#. Do NOT use this if you have pregnant does. Go to search at the top of the page, there are a lot of great discussions on here as to what people have used effectively. If she is anemic, you will have to treat for that as well. I hope this helps and that your goats get better soon.

nancy d likes this.
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
  5. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ok I gave the normal dose of corid they aren’t anemic yet I will pick up valbazen tomorrow thanks a lot!

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Active Member

Feb 17, 2018

Did the fecal show coccidia? If not then you should not have given that. But now that you have started you have to finish the treatment or run the risk of makin it resistant. You only ever treat for the things you need treat for not other things... this is how grubbie become resistant and meds stop workin.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did the fecal show coccidia? Just doing one dose and not a full course along with not really having coccidia will just build resistance.

8. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    No it didn’t show coccidia that’s what an old post on here said when I looked it up to use . And I know barber pole can be bad so I wanted to get stated on it. They have plenty of energy and eyes look good but the fecal was heavy with barber pole. So I guess I get valbazen now?

9. ksalvagno

The problem is that corid doesn't do anything for barberpole. So you didn't start a treatment for barberpole. Valbazen or Ivomec or Cydectin treats barberpole.

SalteyLove likes this.
  10. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ok I found valbazen at my local farm store will get it on my way home

11. ksalvagno

1cc per 10 lbs orally is the dosage.

12. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Great thanks how many doses?

13. ksalvagno

Do one every 10 days for 3 times.

14. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Sounds good then I will get another fecal done

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Wanted to check I was talking to someone at the feed store and they said I should be giving cydectin in between valbazen treatments

17. ksalvagno

How bad is the barberpole? What is the count? I wouldn't be doing that unless you had an extremely bad case. I'd want to save the Cydectin for when Valbazen doesn't work.

goatblessings likes this.
  18. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    He said was heavy but didn’t say how heavy

19. Beaver Island Goats

Beaver Island Goats New Member

May 14, 2018
    I am going through a harrowing deworming experience right now that I am afraid is going to render my does useless to me.

I am sharing this so you will take warning to research any meds you give your goats that you milk. A lot of the medications are used frequently 'off label', which means they are used for animals not listed on the label.

My local vet prescribed Dectomax (Doramectin) injections for my milkers for worms. He only sourced one Edu. recommendation, that didn't even list goats in his research. This drug was made for cattle and swine, and it is the vets decision to use it in other ways.

The drug is made by Pfizer, and i spoke to the correct division in this case, and they told me they don't have ANY data or research program for goats using this med. I did some heavy research and found several articles that clearly stated that this injection should not be used on dairy cattle, or any dairy animals that produce milk for human consumption. So, what does that tell me? My goats are ruined!

Always at least, consult FARAD: Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank

http://www.farad.org

20. steelcity

steelcity Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Wow thanks I don’t milk them thankfully