Di Methox question?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I have a kid scouring this morning; I have Di-Methox liquid (it says injectable on it) that says 40% on the label. I got it from Hoegger's. It says, each mL contains 400 mg sulfadimethoxine compounded with 20% propylene glycol, 1% benzyl alcohol, 0.1 mg disodium edetate, 1 mg sodium formaldehyde sulfoxylate and ph adjusted with sodium hydroxide. Now, I didn't realize that this wasn't the same Di-Methox that everyone else is using because I did get it from Hoegger's! So I gave the kid 5 cc of it this morning orally, because I thought it was supposed to be oral. So now I am thinking I gave too much! Help?

On dosage, it says To be administered in amopunts to provide 25 mg/lb for initial dose followed by 12.5 mg/lb for maintenance doses every 24 hours.

2. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    You gave way too much. I would give activated charcoal ASAP.

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

According to Jeffers- it should only be given by IV injection and the dosage should be 1 ml per 16 lbs

How heavy is your kid? You gave enough for an 80 lb goat....
    I agree with the above post to give activated charcoa

Hopefully the reason you are only supposed to give it IV is because its not as effective by another route of administration. I don't know if thats the reasoning though.

ETA- the link to jeffers with the info I found : http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... f_id=16324

4. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I gave him liquid charcoal; he acted like he disliked that more than anything else. I will give him some more in a little while. Maybe since I gave him the other with pepto, maybe the pepto bound it some so it didn't work as well as it normally would have. I can't tell. ARGH! Hoegger's should even have this on their site; it's a goat site, and if you shouldn't be using it for them, then it shouldn't be on there. They had it listed for scours when I bought it about 6 months or so ago. :( I just hope he's ok...

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can give it orally, you just gave way too much. I know a breeder who used it all the time for Cocci, just not sure the dosage, but I know they had to dose it with a TB syringe.

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yikes- I agree it is so hard to know what is what esp. when the dosages are all wrong! Mine is the 12.5% concentrate from Hoeggers. This IS the one you use Addie and Ashley- right?

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    yes, 12.5% is the usual. The 40% is not used as much, in fact I only know one person who uses that.

8. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Phew! I think we need a goat only handbook with all meds. I have a good goat handbook but it dosen't tell the dosages!

9. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I agree. A book would be a good idea. Maybe I should write one. I have a MA in English after all!! The kid seems to be holding his own right now. He's snuggled with mom and sleeping. I'll keep an eye on him. I wonder if the 40% could be diluted with water or, ya know, I bet I could just cut the dosage down to like 1.5 cc or something. Have to do the math...

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hoeggars does have directions in their cataloge for the doseage. They reccomend using the 40% for prevention, 1/2cc twice a day for 7 days then 1/2cc dose once a week for prevention til weaned. The 12.5% is used for treatment.

11. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Thanks, Liz! :) So that's in the catalog? I ordered online, so they don't even have the 40% on there anymore. I am going to see if I can cut the dosage to 12.5. It certainly should go a lot longer than otherwise.

12. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Thought I'd let everyone know that he is feeling a little better today! He's actually bouncing around and went to sleep in my arms when I snuggled him. Before he was like 'STAY AWAY FROM ME!' and was just drooping his head and feeling down. :) So, I hope it was just scours from the change from milk to grain. He's been eating a lot of the grain, even though I've been trying to keep him out of it! I am going to hold off on the Di-Methox a day or so, because I know he wouldn't rebound from coccidiosis that quickly. It must be something else.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good call...and glad to hear that he is much better. It likely is from too much grain, but if he starts the runs and "blah's" again after watching his grain intake, I would start him on the DiMeth for treatment.