Diagnose Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by olfart, May 23, 2020 at 11:27 AM.

1. olfart

olfart Certified Codger

Mar 7, 2013
    NE Texas
    We have an adult ND doe who has two quarter-size bare spots on her back, one on each side of her spine. The skin looks healthy and pink, no scabs or scaling. No obvious critters crawling, just no hair on those two spots. The spots are about the right distance back for her to be licking/biting and pulling the hair herself, but what would cause her to do that? She is pregnant, due in July, so I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the kids.
    Thanks

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Photos would help. Do you have a lot of flies and gnats right now? They make my goats quite itchy all around and sometimes they pull their hair out from itching and biting so frequently.

As much as I hate to say this, when there are any marks around the spine, meningeal worm is always something to watch for. Is there any hind leg weakness, maybe a limp?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, could very well be meningeal worm.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  4. olfart

olfart Certified Codger

Mar 7, 2013
    NE Texas
    No limp or rear leg weakness observed. I'll try to get a photo of the spots when I feed this evening.

5. olfart

olfart Certified Codger

Mar 7, 2013
    NE Texas
    We had a bad crop of flies a couple of months ago, but they're down to a minimal problem now. No gnats that I've noticed.

Here are some photos of the spots:
    Boots Skin Spots.jpg Boots Skin Spots 1.jpg Boots Skin Spot 2.jpg

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hmm. I don’t like the “perfectness” of it. When they are in random spots I don’t usually suspect m worm, but being on the same place on either side of the spine says m worm to me. Treatment wouldn’t hurt, just in case.

7. olfart

olfart Certified Codger

Mar 7, 2013
    NE Texas
    I think the "perfectness" of it is the fact that those spots are as far as she can reach on each side to bite an itch, and she's pulling her hair out in the process. Does the 'm worm' cause the skin to itch?

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would put some NuStock on it. I personally have never seen M worm with only hair loss but doesn't mean it can't happen.

olfart likes this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I don't have a straight answer. Normally m worm moves up the spine and causes irritation across the way. But that far up, there would normally be symptoms in the legs by now. You can treat for m worm just in case, or you can just treat the skin, watch for leg weakness, and if it appears, treat aggressively immediately.

olfart and 21goaties like this.