The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat has almost clear discharge diarreah and she won't eat anything but a little hay and weeds. I can't get a fecial done because I have no one to drive and we are gone during the daytime this next week. Her feed and hay is completely fine.She's also rather lethargic and doesn't want to get up on the milking stand. are there any vitamins that would help? I believe I have an antibiotic if I should use that. Please give me an answer! HELP:eek:

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
How old is she?? Sounds like her rumen if off...she could use C D Antitoxin B complex and probios..offer electrolytes and fresh green leaves and hay..no feed until she is back to berries...
Take her temp ..should be between 101.5 and 103.5....

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses ( or what ever molasses you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old is she?? Sounds like her rumen if off...she could use C D Antitoxin B complex and probios..offer electrolytes and fresh green leaves and hay..no feed until she is back to berries...
Take her temp ..should be between 101.5 and 103.5....
She is two . I have not used C D or B complex but I will give her molasses water with B complex in it. She won't eat feed anyway.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
DO you have C D Antitoxon on hand? if not mik of magnasia (MOM) can bind any toxins in her gut causing her to be off feed..
Does she have a temp?

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Milk of Magnesia should be dosed orally at 15 cc per 60 lbs bodyweight and given every four to six hours

MOM will not dry her bum at all!!..but will clean out the toxins...keep her well hydrated while she fights this..the electrolyte recipe is well balanced ...and most goat will gobble it up..if she stop drinking you may need to drench her ..DO MOM two times in 6 hours and see how she feels...keep hay and green leaves in front of her..when you see her chewing a cud or up and eating well..then no need to do more MOM....we work on getting her dry...

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much! She drank is really fast and looked like she enjoyed it. Can I give her more?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DO you have C D Antitoxon on hand? if not mik of magnasia (MOM) can bind any toxins in her gut causing her to be off feed..
Does she have a temp?
Do you mean as in C the vitamin and D the vitamin? if so yes. I don't have Antitioxon. What is MIlk of magnesia I might be able to get ahold of it.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
yes she hcan have as much electros as she wants...make sure its balanced....too much lone molasses wonthelp the runs ;)

C D Antitoxin is a medication to help when toxins are present..usually when a goat is runny and off feed this is the problem..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.UccHTz6DToA

Milk of Magnesia is an over the counter medication for humans...
http://phillipsrelief.com/products/milk-magnesia?WT.mc_id=PHS120666&WT.srch=1

have you treid fresh leaves ?? see if she will eat some...plain yogurt can help if you donthave probios...this will help restore some good bacteria in her gut..

What we want is to clean out any toxins and build up her flora to get her back on track...we want to see her eat hay and leaves and drink plenty...

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is doing so much better! She's eating more giving a little bit more milk and drinking lots of electros with vitamins. Her diarreah is almost gone. I think she'll be fine as long as she doesn't have a setback.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
good to hear...: ) I would avoid grain until her poop is back to berries..keep up the electrolytes and give probiotics to help restore her flora in her rumen..

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. Her diarreah is almost gone and she is doning better the main thing that is worrying me though is that she isn't giving much milk. She went down from giving 1 gallon and 1 quart to giving a pint. Any advice?

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
she may or may not increase....keep putting her on the table and milking messageing and once she is back to berries, increasing her feed very slowly until sheis back to where she was food wise....

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She is back to berries and eating well again. Her milk supply is increasing for now she is at about 2 quarts - 3 a day. I'm hoping she'll increase way more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts