Diarreah

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Jun 24, 2008.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I had to jump in here because I was just about to write in with similar questions; I need help! My two babies, about 2 1/2 months old, have diarrhea. It started with the buckling, Caper. I have given him Pepto for 3 days. Now today, the doeling Sage has it, too. I have been doing di-meth treatments...daily for a little over a week, then starting weekly. They both act perfectly fine, but I'm sooo worried. I also dusted all the goats last weekend with Co-ral for possible lice infections. Their butts are messy and I just don't know what else to do! I am keeping them out of the grass and off any grain for now, just hay and fresh water. Any thoughts?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: lice and diarreah?

Di-Methox wouldbe a preventative I believe....coccidia does best with treatment with sulfa drugs, such as Albon or Sulmet...the generic for Albon is S-dimethoxine. I was in a very similar situation last year with my nigi buckling he too was 2 1/2months old at the time and I did the 3 days with pepto before I got him to the vet( which he also ate like a pig too!)...coccidia was the diagnosis and Albon was the treatment. He is fine now but is small for his age, I don't know wether it's becauser of his genetics ( both sides of pedigree have small goats) or the coccidia causing damage to his intestine. :shrug:

As long as your kids are staying hydrated and if you can get a vet to run a fecal that would definatelybe in their best interest.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

take a poop sample into the vet to get a fecal done in it. Then you will knwo if you are dealing with cocci or worms.

Check theri lower lids are they pink or white?

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007

delete

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

:drool: DUH...I should have seen that as the "shortened" word in S- Dimethoxine...thanks for pointing that out Susanne :)

6. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York

When they reached 4 weeks old, I gave them di-meth for about a week, every day. Then I switched to once a week, as I've always done. Should I go back to once a day? Little Sage's bottom looks better today, but Caper's is still messy. I can't do vet until Fri. as my daughter is having her tonsils out tomorrow! Ugh!

7. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York

Caper's scours are just as bad this morning! I tried to get more di-meth into him and managed some by mixing it with a little milk in a bottle, but he fought me. Sage is better. My DH thinks we shouldn't let the kids nurse because of the diarrhea, but I'm worried they need the nutrition. I could really use some advice about letting them have milk. In thinking it over, they're not quite 2 months old yet. Born May 2. I will get Kaopectate today but my human kid has to take precedence with her tonsillectomy so I won't be able to get it into him until tonight. Thanks all...

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I really think you should get a fecal done as soon as you can on them. Obviously it isn't cocci or the cocci med you are using isn't working.

I wouldnt' continue that.

yes still give the milk as they need it for nutrition and to keep them hydrated.

I am making this your own thread because it needs better attention then through my thread

9. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks, Stacey. I just got some kaopectate and some pedialyte. How much Kao should I give him?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    aprox 3 ccs (or whatever the childs dose is)

11. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I'll do that right away. My daughter was supposed to have her tonsils out today but when we got to the hospital, my husband had the wrong date...it's tomorrow! So to ease my wrath he's offered to take a fecal to the vet this afternoon for me. Will keep you posted. Can Caper have as much pedialyte as he wants?

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am glad you are getting a fecal run. Knowing what he has is so much better then treating what you think he has.

As to the pedialyte..........I am not sure never used it before

13. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I haven't given him any yet, I'm going to wait and see what the vet says first. I bought it to get some electrolytes into him. I'm also anxious to see what the vet says. She doesn't have an awful lot of goat experience, but she's very good at finding things out.

14. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Well my husband just called from the vet and there wasn't enough of the sample for them to test! I had trouble because everything on Caper's backside was all hard and crusty, so I was only able to get a small amount of anything wet. Now he's mad because they were rude to him about it, and it's 40 min. away and we still don't know what's going on. I guess I'll just keep up with the kao, liquids etc. and hope for the best. I will also keep trying to get some di-meth into him. :sigh:

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well gather anything that is on the ground too. Keep it in the fridge till you can get to the vets again.

16. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I couldn't find any! There are two other kids in there and a mama, and with Capers being so "runny" it was kind of disappearing into the hay unless I was right there to see it. I do think I'll still try to bring up a sample next week, even though he seems to be on the mend.