The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a ewe in December (she was with a ram from October to December) and she had diarrhea and a loose stool. I called the vet and he checked for worms, there weren’t any. He said to do penicillin for 3 days. I separated her from my goat and did that, the diarrhea went away and she was normal. (She had been acting healthy as can be, she just had loose stool and diarrhea with a tiny fever).
As soon as I put her back to pasture she developed the diarrhea. I called a sheep expert I know and he said it was probably just that my pasture has too much protein for her and as long as she’s acting ok, he wouldn’t worry about it.
Well, today I went out and she had her tail bent over her back, was the the phlegm reaction, was stretching, and grunting when she walked. She’s still running, eating, and acting normal except for she’s acting in pain and has diarrhea on her backside. I don’t know if this pain is from the diarrhea or if she is in labor (or both). She doesn’t have a full udder yet, and there isn’t any discharge. Though she has been super pink and puffy in the back end for a few days.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The sheep expert just told me to give her 15 cc Scour-Chek for pigs twice a day for 2-3 days. He said if that doesn’t make it go away, then to do CORID. I’m always hesitant to give my animals something that isn’t meant for them. Thoughts?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts
Sounds like she has quite a few issues with her digestive system if she is always having diarrhea.

Has she been tested for Johnes?

Sounds like your sheep expert just wants to mask the issue and not find the root cause. This animal needs a temperature check and fecal exam.

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
It sounds like something may be in your pasture that is affecting the ewe. Whether poisonous or just needs to get used to is the question. I'd pull her off pasture, give some activated charcoal and probiotics. See what that does.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Some of mine are going through this right now because I have started to introduce them to the rye grass pasture. I only allow them to graze it a few minutes each day until they can get used to the change in forage. However, some get a little more than they should at this point. It typically clears up on its own. You might try pulling her off the pasture and feeding hay and see if that helps. Sometimes the pregnancy hormones and stress can upset their digestion too.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Every time you bring a new sheep into your herd onto your place you are going to have problems.
It could be worms A new disease that is not used to it could be the pasture that is eating
Your sheep expert is spot on Give scour check like he prescribed. She could be lambing also so keep an eye on Her

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would bring the ewe in give her the scour check
Feed like you did before you turn her out. When you get her back to normal. Turn her out to pasture gradually an hour the 1st day and 2 hours the 2nd day 3 hours of 3rd day so she gets used your pasture

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the advice! I gave her Scour-Chek and she is still up grazing and acting fine, except for the occasional grunt. She is pawing randomly and laying down a lot. She doesn’t have any discharge or milk, could she still be in labor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts