Diarrhea? Baby goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by New2nigerians, Mar 25, 2019.

1. New2nigerians

New2nigerians New Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Ukiah, Ca
    Hey everyone! I'm VERY new to goats. We just picked up 3 baby does (2 weeks old) nigerian goats this weekend. They seem to be doing well. Active, playing, drinking from the bottle well. I brought them inside this morning to do their morning bottle and one of them proceeded to have a loose, yellowy stool. Then she had another one a couple minutes after that was kind of yellow with more white frothy to it. THEN she had another which was back to the more normal brown they have had since I got them, but still on the loose side.

I'm feeding whole cows milk, mixed with a little bit of goat milk the lady we purchased them from gave us. 7oz, 4x a day. (8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm) Too much milk? I did increase it and without even thinking about it, I did not increase slowly. I'm not sure what to do. She is acting normal still (so far). Playful, urinating, etc. I did mix up some homemade electrolytes which I gave her a little bit of. Is there anything I should be doing? Or just watching for now?

Also...I feel like there's 100 different answers online. How long do they bottle feed? I have it scheduled out until 10-12 weeks. Should it be longer? I've also seen different answers on whether there should be free alfalfa offered yet in their pen. Any advice on how to successfully raise these little gals would be so appreciated!

side note - they did receive their first CD&T shot and I have plans to give them another in about 3.5 weeks. Plus a wormer I think?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Add a pinch of baking soda to the first bottle of the day. You could add yogurt to her bottles. Have a fecal done to include coccidia.

mariarose and GoofyGoat like this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes, offer them good alfalfa or grass hay now

It may have been the bottle increase, but how much do they weigh? Stand on your bathroom scale holding one and then subtract your own weight. Are their bellies bulging/rounded out when they finish a bottle?

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh also, the longer your schedule & budget allows bottle feeding, the better. 12 weeks is great, 4-6 months is amazing. You can knock them down to two bottles a day after 12 weeks really.

mariarose likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. New2nigerians

New2nigerians New Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Ukiah, Ca
    Appreciate the response! Not sure how much they weigh. I’ll jump on the scale with them tonight. Does that help determine how many ounces they should get? I read a few things...one said more than 8oz ever at a time and the other one i saw said no more than 10oz. I did message the lady who i got them from and they were on just goats milk, and then of course I’m feeding cows milk...so she said it could have just been the change. I THINK she’s doing better today. I recleaned her back end this morning and when i came home a few hours later, it’s still clean.

Bellies are full after feeding but definitely not bulging. I did read about feeling their bellies to make sure they’re full but not overfilled.

7. Heathersboergoats

Heathersboergoats Member

Feb 18, 2019
    IL
    They should get 20% of there body weight I'll see if I can find one of the charts

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I'd also like to add, to give them a dose of Probios gel, to get tummies back on track.

Pea sized dollop on a finger, placed into the mouth.

If they are ever not hungry, when they should be hungry, give them a dose of Probios and do not try to force them to eat. They've developed Overeater's Disease.

Smaller meals more often is better than large meals less often, until they get used to things.

Leafy soft hay is fine to give now. Kids being taught by their moms will start to eat solids foods faster than kids raised in isolation, so once in a while, when the kids are watching you, pretend to put some in your mouth and eat it.

People often completely wean at 8 weeks. That is too young in my opinion for optimal growth. I've stunted my fair share of goats following that advice. Oops...

SalteyLove likes this.
  9. New2nigerians

New2nigerians New Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Ukiah, Ca
    Wonderful advice, thank you! I plan to go for at least 12 weeks...but probably longer. We're leaving for a camping trip in late July so I will probably wean by then. Hopefully that gives them plenty of time. I've already caught them nibbling on the hay in their enclosure, so that's good. :)

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.