The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 week old wether who has had diarrhea on and off for the past 3 days, it got better but now it’s worse again. It started when I put everyone out to browse for the first time in a week (it has been raining so much lately so I didn’t put the goats out) I left them out for about 4 hours. The diarrhea is greenish-brown and pretty runny at this point but no mucus or blood.
He got his second CDT shot a week ago. His temp is normal (102.9f).
His FAMACHA is good (2).
He got 5 days of Corid a month ago.
He has been given an herbal dewormer for a few days twice (most recent was within the last week).
I have been giving him ProBios daily and I gave him a drench of charcoal, baking soda, clay, honey, and yogurt which usually does the trick but didn't seem to work this time.
Could it be caused by something other than the change in diet - E coli? Coccidia? Something else?
Should I go buy Scour-Chek?
Like I said, we have been getting a lot of rain so that doesn’t help.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Fair-Haven
4,923 Posts
I usually give babies a monthly cocci prevention, so my first go to would be getting a fecal check for cocci and worms due to the amount of rain. If you put them out on wet pasture, first I would give dry hay, and then let them out for a limited time. If the scours are bad, make sure they are getting electrolytes. You can give some spectoguard or pepto to help with scours.

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
Greenish can certainly point toward dietary. I'm having the same issue off and on with mine. Lots of rain gives lots of water saturated grasses. We are fixin to cut our goat pen to minimize their exposure. Since yours is sent out to graze..start their morning off with hay and don't send them out until dew has dried. And then only for a few hours..then back in for hay. Daily probiotics helps as well.
Scour halt as suggested or pepto to help dry them up and a fecal to make sure parasites aren't an issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update (on the off chance that anyone cares about my goat kid's poop 😉)
I have been giving Pepto - 2 tablets every couple of hours during the day and only feeding hay.
He is pooping berries now and has been completely normal otherwise so I think I just over did the lush grass... Lesson learned. Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts