Diarrhea Help (2 weeks)

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by PsRumors, Jul 21, 2010.

1. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    4 month old boer has had diarrhea for two weeks. It started off brown and Kaeopectate and Pepto would take care of it for a couple days then it would come back.

Now we have a dark green slime. It doesn't seem to dry. There is no stink to it.

She eats & drinks just fine, is growing and adding weight. Plays acts normal isn't dehydrated etc.

Worming & CD/T completed weeks prior to the diarrhea.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you get a fecal done anyway.... for worms and cocci... just to make sure nothing is going on there?

When you say... the stool is green....what is she eating? Is it a green lush pasture...Hot Alfalfa...ect... sounds like she is getting to much of green somewhere.... or change in diet... :wink:

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    yep... I agree with Pam. :)

4. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    fecal has been done and is A OK. Sorry for missing that.

We have 4 acres that is grass and weeds. It has a mixture of just about all grasses. There is tall fescue, zoysia grass, poison ivy, etc, etc.

5. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    That is their only diet.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Goats need roughage ....to help with their rumen....can you get some hay and throw it out to them once in a while....? That will help with scouring to..... :wink:

7. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I have read this before and I was wondering why they would not get enough roughage from woody browse? :? Just curious because I would think that woody brush would be a lot of roughage.

8. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    I sure can. I guess I don't quite understand what roughage is.

I assumed all the vines they eat off the fence would be roughage.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Roughage is any long dry fiber...if the area they browse in is full of lush green grasses and bushes, even if they eat the stems, those stems are still full of moisture. It takes longer to digest dry matter than it does for the green....basically all the green goes straight through and since a kids rumen isn't developed fully until they are a minimum of 3 months, they need dry matter to help develop it's actions.

Offer her some hay and limit her "green browse" time for a few days, make sure she has a buddy with her too and see if her poop firms up.

10. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    will do...thanks!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: :greengrin: :hi5:

12. kannm

kannm New Member